Materials to reduce the blue color components in LED lighting?

Kelvin Xu

What are the materials, for example transparent films, or liquid, to absorb and reduce energy of the blue components in LED light outputs, especially the lower wavelength portion? Where can I buy small samples of that for color manipulation experiments?

I noticed the spectrum of LED lights tend to have a trough between blue and green. Are there any techniques to make the spectrum of LED lights more continuous?

Let's assume the color accuracy is not in important.

Practically all LEDs have a spectrum that's heavy in blue, lacking in green-turquoise, and lacking in the really deep red, but they're gett

Thank you!

• Premium Member

What are the materials, for example transparent films, or liquid, to absorb and reduce energy of the blue components in LED light output

Lee Filters Zircon range.

Also, colour-correction filters not specifically intended for LED may still be useful.

I noticed the spectrum of LED lights tend to have a trough between blue and green. Are there any techniques to make the spectrum of LED lights more continuous?

Not really. Filtration naturally can't put back what isn't there. Remote phosphor LEDs, such as the type you mentioned in your other thread, are better. Some designs have included LEDs of different colours in an attempt to fill in holes in the spectrum, but that tends to create as spiky spectrum. Which is better depends on your application.

Don't overlook other technologies such as high-intensity discharge and fluorescent, both of which can have similar efficiency to LED and better spectral characteristics (though this is changing). If you want really consistent spectral characteristics, sadly, there's only one place to go:

26_2049425i.jpg

P