WANTED: Arri 650w Fresnel

Bradley Stearn

I have just found some LTM 100w peppers for sale. They definitely seem like something I wouldn't mind having in my lighting arsenal. Has anyone had experience working with LTM lights? I have never heard of this brand. Would they compare on a similar level to the Arri 150w pepper? If they do, I'll probably try and make the purchase!

I ended up buying 2 LTM 100w peppers. I'm sure for what I need them for they will be great. Just little accent/kicker lights that will probably always come in handy. Does anyone know how they compare to Dedo 150w in terms of how focused the spot is?

Also I would 100% avoid the clones for this type of thing.

Depends on the clone. Filmgear have been ripping off the Arri design for years, and their lamps are now widely used. The Digital Juice Helios lamps look suspiciously like Arri, too. As for the chinese knock-offs, the wiring is certainly no worse than buying a 40 year old Mole Richardson lamp from Craigslist.

Depends on the clone. ....As for the chinese knock-offs, the wiring is certainly no worse than buying a 40 year old Mole Richardson lamp from Craigslist.

That will depend on the MR lamp, yes. And MR can be maintained, even the old ones. Some Chinese knock offs need work to be safe on day 1. So where's the certainty? Some poetic exageration eh?

Could the bulb holder contact point be giving an inconsistent connection? The contact surface ageing too quickly and the pressure reducing as the lamp heats up. So much fun speculating when you don't really know enough. I suppose one could try increasing the contact pressure and cleaning the contact surface and seeing if the next bulb lasted.

I'd suspect that the contact material in the lamp holder is "something" plated steel instead of silver plated brass. The geometry of the contact may not be fitting the recessed contacts of the lamp very well either. In the end a high resistance connection probably made worse by arcing. You could replace the contacts, but that would be throwing good money after bad. Better to have bought some old redheads.