Peru?

David Hines

Hey fellow DP's,

I recently moved from NYC to Lima, Peru and am looking to get hooked up with some filmmakers down here. Does anybody have any leads on where to start looking? I can't help but be inspired by this place, and I'd love to transfer some of that energy to the screen with a group of talented and dedicated local artists.

www.davidthines.com

www.pangeographic.com

• Premium Member

David,

I shot a short down there about 10 years ago and I will tell you what I know. It is a small community of filmmakers there. The production is almost exclusively for TV commercials. TV series are traditionally imported from neighboring countries.

It is a wonderful country that has a frustrated feature film community that is almost non existent. I almost went back last year to shoot a low budget feature but my schedule wouldn't allow it. But just by talking to the producers it was clear that nothing had changed in the last 10 years. For what ever reason, movies simply are not made there.

The 1st AC I worked with and whom I have not had direct contact with for several years is Richard Vera Caceres. Through his Facebook posts it appears he is working full time, on commercials of course. You could try reaching out to him and perhaps get some insight.

This link has his contact info:

http://www.perufilmcrew.com/base/fichas/vera_richard.htm

Good luck.

f

Thanks for the heads-up Frank. I've decided to head back to NYC next month, much more work there for me. I tried to start a network down here, but it's simply not happening. All I see is TV work and ultra low budget stuff, which I have no interest in.

• 2 years later...