Samyang/Rokinon XEEN lenses

David Hines

Has anyone used these new lenses from Samyang/Rokinon yet? From the few tests that I've seen, they look pretty amazing, especially at the $2500/per price point. I rather like the original Rokinon Cine lens set, and am interested to see more from these new lenses.

• Premium Member

I think they're rather overpriced-- For the money I'd much rather personally go with the Sony 4K Set; but that's just me.

I think if they came in more around $1500/lens I'd be much more interested, but to be honest, I worry they aren't all they're cracked up to be in the long haul. And sitting between two established players seems nonsensical (sony and Zeiss respectively)

Still nice to see new players entering into what is a not nearly full enough market.

• Premium Member

Of course the review is shot with an A7S, yuck… but maybe has some more info:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/hands-review/hands-review-rokinon-xeen-true-cinema-lenses-full-frame-production

I agree with Adrian, I wouldn't buy them because what's the point? You can buy used Arri primes for very close to that price and have something really good and valuable. Glass is an investment and if you buy something nobody else wants, then what's the point?

• Premium Member

The video is rather not worthwhile therein. Not in HD quality- compressed, and of course shown in overcaast/soft lighting.

That said; I'm sure I'll wind up using a set or two as they enter market-- that's how it goes.

Will add I don't mind at all their "cine" lenses in EOS mount. Super cheap, work well enough, and much better than an L series zoom when you're on an EOS system.

The reason I like the original Roki Cine line is that occasionally when I'm working on a low budget piece, and there's not a lot of wiggle room in the budget, I know that I can squeeze some good quality out of them and save money for other neccessities. I'm interested in the XEEN line because they will probably have a much lower day rate than many other cine lenses, and would hopefully provide better quality, as well as more familiar functionality for the camera team. If I were to invest in a set of lenses, it definitely wouldn't be something like this though.

• 2 weeks later...