How Films Were Made and Shown

My good friend, David Cleveland and I have just published 'How Films Were Made And Shown'. It is A4 with 453 pages and 900 illustrations, many in colour. It is quite a heavy tome, 2.5 kgs. Kevin Brownlow on receiving his copy said "the book is not only unputdownable - it is heavy enough to be unpickupable!"

For film archivists and those interested in the technical side of film, there are chapters on How It Worked; The Film Business Gets Going; The 1920s - Time of Change; A Quest For Colour; The 1930s and 40s; New Film, New Colour, New Sound, New Screens of the 1950s and 60s; The Film Laboratory, and Slow Fade Out covering from the 70s to 2015.

If you would like further information please look at my website:http://www.brianpritchard.com/How_Films_Were_Made_and_Shown.htm.

Unfortunately the weight makes it rather expensive to ship.

Brian

post-10694-0-35717400-1441970165_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent. I'll be buying one when I get some dollars together. Oh wait. UK delivery only? Any chance I can pay for international shipment? Oh - wait again. The answer is on the website.

C

Edited by Carl Looper

Hello Carl

I have done a quick check and the cost to Australia would be £60.; I am afraid that the book is large and heavy (2.4Kgs -A4). The cost to the US is £52. The 'Buy Now' option on my website is for UK delivery only and international deliveries should be paid by Paypal directly to my email brianrpritchard@aol.com.

Thanks

Brian

Hello Carl

I have done a quick check and the cost to Australia would be £60.; I am afraid that the book is large and heavy (2.4Kgs -A4). The cost to the US is £52. The 'Buy Now' option on my website is for UK delivery only and international deliveries should be paid by Paypal directly to my email brianrpritchard@aol.com.

Thanks

Brian

Thanks Brian - that price is just fine. When I get some dollars together will throw you an order.

C

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the kind remarks, the sales of the book are going well.

I have had an order by letter from R A Saffrey MBKS of Shenton Park in Western Australia, in order to send him his book I need a telephone number for the courier. Does anyone from Western Australia know this gentleman and have a telephone number or email address?

Thanks

Brian

Thanks for the kind remarks, the sales of the book are going well.

I have had an order by letter from R A Saffrey MBKS of Shenton Park in Western Australia, in order to send him his book I need a telephone number for the courier. Does anyone from Western Australia know this gentleman and have a telephone number or email address?

Thanks

Brian

Assuming it's actually MBKSTS, maybe the Society can help, if he's actually paid his sub since it stopped being the BKS.,

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Which reminds me - it's been sitting on myself begging to be read for almost a year (sorry!). It caught my eye unexpectedly when I was visiting the BFI Southbank and was an instant buy. Although I've not dived in very deep it appears incredibly thorough. Looking forward to getting stuck into, thanks for all your efforts.

• 2 weeks later...

We printed 400 copies. We are not going to print a 2nd Edition, we would have to order the same number for it to be economic and it is likely that we would get left with most of them - we are talking about £10,000 and as we published it ourselves we can't afford to risk that amount of money.

We are not planning to sell PDF copies.

Brian

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

David, I am glad you have ordered a copy; I hope you enjoy it.  Sorry to be so late to reply, I am just about retired now so I don't check the forum very often.

If anyone has a problem with the book please let me know and I will sort it out.

I don't want to get involved with Amazon, we sell the book at virtually cost so I don't want them taking a share.  You certainly don't want to pay $238 when you can get a copy for £60.

Brian

• 2 years later...