Kodak and the future of film acquisition

Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member

Hey Luke, I'm actually starting a business all around this knowledge called Celluloid Dreaming. Once operational, it will give you answers to these questions. Right now, the numbers I'm quoting are retail, I'm sure if one showed up with a batch of film, they'd make a deal, that's without question. However, their pricing is a bit on the high side even for retail.

Most films use one facility like FotoKem to do all that work. Nothing is done "in house" (assuming studio) anymore, those days are long gone.

Fotokem gave me those prices for 8000 feet of film:

.22/ft normal develop = $1,760.
.24/ft push/pull
$50./lab roll – 10 rolls x $50. = $500.
Transfer to HD tapes = $250/hr – 12 hours = $3,000.
Digitize = $200 x 3 hours = $600.
I'm just going to say that those prices seem okay to me, but at least two of those costs are non existent in this other lab I've been talking to. I don't know if they'd be willing to negotiate more, and I don't know if as an indie project, they'll take care of you as well as a smaller lab would.

• Premium Member

You can get them to record direct to pro res and if you send them a drive, they won't charge you that tape fee.

Also... that HD transfer fee includes audio sync IF you use a timecode slate matching the audio recorder. That's a critical and HUGE time saver in post production if you plan on using production audio at all.

The other prep fee's are generally included with process and transfer, but FotoKem separates them.

You should be able to work the prices better, those are full retail prices.

Lets not forget that for whatever reason, Kodak says 7219 is on back order. I don't know how a manufacturer of a product can be on back order of their own product, but whatever.

I can't buy 500T in 16mm currently from Kodak. I haven't checked in a week or so.

A guy here at our school had the same problem with the 500T. I believe they got it eventually, but ended up having to reschedule a night shoot cause all they had that day was 200. They may have gotten it from a different source though. What I believe the problem was may have been a bad batch of film, if my memory serves me right, so they didn't have any available for a while. I can ask later when the guys are around school though.

It's a sad day when you can't get the film you want in Rochester where they make the damn stuff.