Hello Everyone,

I am a T.A. in a cinematography class at Arizona State and I convinced my teacher to do a workshop with a 16mm camera. Being how new our Film School is we have no film cameras, only digital, so we are renting an SRIII to show the class and possibly shoot some stuff. My professor and I wanted to show everyone what it's like to shoot on film and how careful you have to be with exposure, how to use light meters, etc., and implementing these structures for when you shoot on digital. Rather than the typical status quo of students just blindly shooting and guessing on exposure. I was reaching out to the cinematography community for help, if anyone has any short ends or exposed super 16 film we could use to help the students with (show how to load the magazines, etc.) that would be amazing. Kind of a long shot to ask on here but I thought it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks,

Danner Gardner

• Premium Member

Cool! That would be a lot of fun!

I have some camera negative that I use for testing cameras. I can spool some off if you want. However, the camera rental place will absolutely have some, so I'd just ask 'em when you pickup the camera. They need it for testing the cameras and training, it's very common.

You'll have to grab a good meter. I suggest one with spot capability because that's how video camera's work and people who are use to shooting video, may understand that type of metering more.

In terms of actually buying stock to shoot. http://www.filmemporium.comhas stock for pretty good deals. It's short ends and out of date stuff, but it will work fine for you guys. I highly suggest shooting positive because it would be awesome to project what you shoot. I'm sure some others will chime in on this topic as well. ;)

Glad you're taking the initiative, I think everyone who goes to film school should learn on film. Digital is easy and if you learn film, you will find it very easy to make the transition to digital.

• Premium Member

You know, Depending on my travel schedule and when you're planning on doing this all I may be able to swing by with my SR3 on my way to ABQ. Shoot me an e mail, Adrian@adriansierkowski.com if you'd like to speak more. If timing works out I could probably grab Tyler's ends to you as well.

• Upvote 1

Cool! That would be a lot of fun!

I have some camera negative that I use for testing cameras. I can spool some off if you want. However, the camera rental place will absolutely have some, so I'd just ask 'em when you pickup the camera. They need it for testing the cameras and training, it's very common.

You'll have to grab a good meter. I suggest one with spot capability because that's how video camera's work and people who are use to shooting video, may understand that type of metering more.

In terms of actually buying stock to shoot. http://www.filmemporium.comhas stock for pretty good deals. It's short ends and out of date stuff, but it will work fine for you guys. I highly suggest shooting positive because it would be awesome to project what you shoot. I'm sure some others will chime in on this topic as well. ;)

Glad you're taking the initiative, I think everyone who goes to film school should learn on film. Digital is easy and if you learn film, you will find it very easy to make the transition to digital.

I will check with the rental house if they have any camera negative they are willing to let us use. Thanks for suggestion! And I did get a decent light meter from a friend and also convinced the school to buy 400' of 500T 7219 :D

If for some reason I can't get some camera negative from the rental house I might have to take you up on that offer Tyler. Thanks again!

You know, Depending on my travel schedule and when you're planning on doing this all I may be able to swing by with my SR3 on my way to ABQ. Shoot me an e mail, Adrian@adriansierkowski.com if you'd like to speak more. If timing works out I could probably grab Tyler's ends to you as well.

Email sent! :)