Freya's Fantasy Grip Truck

Freya Black

Okay my other thread stepped quite a ways away from Gobo's and now seems on a bit of a negative path so I thought I would start a new thread that could be more fun.

Please suggest things to go on my fantasy grip truck.

Here are the rules of the game so to speak:

1) Suggest some items that I have to have on my grip truck because they are so useful and essential.

2) Try and explain why you think they should definitely be on the truck and not something else.

3) Lets keep it positive.

4) You can't have c-stands as there is already a full compliment of c-stands on the truck, so think of things you might attach to the c-stand like flags. What are the most important sizes etc.

5) Extra points if it's smaller everyday items and not a full size fisher dolly which is going to take up a lot of room on the truck.

I think that's everything although I reserve the right to invent new rules as we go along! ;)

Freya

• Premium Member

1) Dana Dolly or Slider

Why? Because sometimes you want to do something else than panning and tilting or doing hand - held.

Sliders go from very cheap to crazy expensive but it depends on the camera that you would use with them.

On Penny Dreadful there is a slider in the grip truck always because it is very useful and easier to set up in small places (like some of the Penny Dreadful sets )

2) Polyboards, Depron, Silks

You might want to either bounce or soften that light from your lights at some stage!

In fact, if you go to any silk store and ask for a white silk you will be able to choose from a variety of diffussions! And very cheap.

You might want to have frames for those silks too so if you can't buy a 6x6 frame you might want to build it with either aluminium or pvc.

It might not make an American movie but it will be very useful.

And a good black opaque silk is something that you have to have!

3) Polecats / Autopoles

Very useful when you have to rig things on the ceiling and if you have two Avenger tripods with one clamp on each you can put the autopole on top of them and create an inverted U so you can attach lights to the autopole, silks, etc

4) All types of clamps and magic arms

They come handy when you have to attach something to something.

5) Flags

I like using flags and they are very cheap to buy.

I am used to using small and medium sizes and if I want to cut the light with something bigger then I ask for a black polyboard or black plastic.

That's all I can write for now!

Thanks Miguel,

Was it a Dana dolly you used on Penny Dreadful? I've not seen that series but I have heard very good things about it so I will have to keep an eye out for it in the future.

You think I need a 6x6 frame. Why that size especially. Do I just need that size?

Good tip about putting silks on the autopole. I've never thought of that!

I have to have a good black opaque silk? Why is that? It sounds interesting. Is this for diffusion or for bounce? I need this in 6x6? As you suggest there are a lot of different kinds of diffusion out there from places like Lee etc. (I already have a couple of rolls in my stock) what kind do you think are a must have and what can we leave off the truck and why?

Flags are essential for sure. In the past I've used large pieces of cardboard. Some people seemed concerned about that (brown bounce maybe?) Maybe for my grip truck I need proper flags. What do you think? What sizes do you think are essential for the grip truck.

Anyone else agree or disagree on these choices? Is there anything else that needs to be on the truck?

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

The longer you work, the more you realize that you use certain common items again and again. Other stuff is like a fire extinguisher, when you need it you want it to be there. Otherwise it sits there serving no purpose.

If I owned no rags I'd buy 8x8's not 6x6's to start. I might buy full half and quarter grid before I buy a silk, either black or white.

Edited by JD Hartman

• Premium Member

4x4 flags (and other options in white, silver, etc) are crucial on small stuff because they're fast enough to rig. Often you want an 8x8 but there simply isn't the gear/people/time. Just for cutting light, something smaller. 18x24", often. I find polyboard is surprisingly expensive, extremely bulky, breaks easily, and leaves tiny beads everywhere. I avoid it. Use pop-up lastolite reflectors if need be.

Combo stands are useful. A small combo stand can often stand in (ha) for a C-stand, but not vice versa. C-stands are too lightweight to hold up overhead diffusion, in my view, although people do it all the time. Sandbags.

Because you don't actually have a truck, keep in mind that all this stuff needs to be collapsible for easy transport. My 8x8 goes in a tripod bag and is quick to erect, but usually, as I say, still not quick enough. For this reason, I very much like the nesting apple boxes. I made a set, but I really need another three sets, minimum.

Food and drink, collapsible chairs, and ideally an easy-up.

Oh, yeah, and some sort of cart, to move it all around on. I have yet to find a sturdy one that packs down small enough for my tastes.

Next: What's In My Handbag.

P

The longer you work, the more you realize that you use certain common items again and again. Other stuff is like a fire extinguisher, when you need it you want it to be there. Otherwise it sits there serving no purpose.

If I owned no rags I'd buy 8x8's not 6x6's to start. I might buy full half and quarter grid before I buy a silk, either black or white.

Actually a little fire extinguisher is a really good idea, It might seem like you aren't using it but it's actually giving you a bit of extra peace of mind the whole time it is there.

Presumably you might want 8x8 over 6x6 to get a larger softer source but why full half and quarter grid?

Freya

4x4 flags (and other options in white, silver, etc) are crucial on small stuff because they're fast enough to rig. Often you want an 8x8 but there simply isn't the gear/people/time. Just for cutting light, something smaller. 18x24", often. I find polyboard is surprisingly expensive, extremely bulky, breaks easily, and leaves tiny beads everywhere. I avoid it. Use pop-up lastolite reflectors if need be.

Have you tried foam board? It's light and doesn't disintegrate into tiny pieces. You can get creases in it of course but it's a lot more practical than the polystyrene stuff.

What do you do with the Apple boxes and why do you like them so much?

Freya

• Premium Member

I like the Le Maitre Mini Mist. There's one one ebay right now for £80, which is a cracking good deal considering they're ten times that new. Foam board is fine, but I still prefer something collapsible.

What do you do with the Apple boxes and why do you like them so much?

I cause things to be further from the ground. Mainly, they're used for dolly track on really uneven terrain. You can end up needing an enormous amount of them (I have something like 32' of track).

P

I like the Le Maitre Mini Mist. There's one one ebay right now for £80, which is a cracking good deal considering they're ten times that new. Foam board is fine, but I still prefer something collapsible.

P

Where talking grip truck here, not grip Morris Mini.

Rags? You really need to see what they do to appreciate their distinct qualities. What you choose depends on how you are using it: diffusing harsh overhead sun; softening a light source, reducing the overall intensity of a source; creating a large soft source, bounce, booklight, etc.

Edited by JD Hartman

YYes! I definitely need some kind of smoke machine type thing! Good Call. I LOVE some smokey. I even own a couple of Tiffen Smoques. Why the Rosco machine though rather than another make?

Why Rosco? Mostly cause it's an industry standard brand and you can likely get a good resale value on it. Same reason you go with Matthews C-stands and Arri lamp heads, etc. Resale value, quality and just having reputable brands in your truck.

Edited by Michael LaVoie

It takes non standard cans tho. Why do you like this over the million and one cheap hazers out there?

Because you can warm it up, unplug it and go wandering around squirting smoke just where you want it, because of the aerosol can approach. It's handy and flexible.

I looked it up! You can use it outside without power! Nice!

I loaded it on the "truck"

Freya

Combo stands are useful. A small combo stand can often stand in (ha) for a C-stand, but not vice versa. C-stands are too lightweight to hold up overhead diffusion, in my view, although people do it all the time. Sandbags.

Because you don't actually have a truck, keep in mind that all this stuff needs to be collapsible for easy transport. My 8x8 goes in a tripod bag and is quick to erect, but usually, as I say, still not quick enough. For this reason, I very much like the nesting apple boxes. I made a set, but I really need another three sets, minimum.

Food and drink, collapsible chairs, and ideally an easy-up.

Oh, yeah, and some sort of cart, to move it all around on. I have yet to find a sturdy one that packs down small enough for my tastes.

Next: What's In My Handbag.

P

Cover the edges of you poly board (beadboard) with black paper tape, it prevents the scattering of tiny bit of polystyrene everywhere you go.

Combo and baby stands are pretty clumsy to use in an interior, you still need C-stands. Each has their purpose. Of course sandbags.

Edited by JD Hartman

Phil has made me a grip truck!

freyagrip.jpg

It's a customised version of one from Hammer Lighting and Grip:

http://hammergrip.tv/featured-equipment/grip-trucks/

Seems like he has gone for the 5 ton!

I might have chosen the one ton to make it harder to decide what goes on the truck and what stays on!

So far I notice no-one has put any c-47's on the truck. I always have at least 50 for a shoot.

Are they not an essential item for you guys?

Freya