A slightly amateurish question on lenses...

Nguyen D. Nguyen

I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to the arri 2c (though doing a lot of research on it). My question was about the lens mount on the 2c. I know it can be converted to a PL mount, but as for the turret, what types of lenses will fit on them? Are they readily available anywhere?

Suggestions? Resources? Opinions?

• Premium Member

I think to convert it to a PL-mount, you'd be disabling the 3-lens turret feature, permanently probably. I'm not sure, but I believe the turret uses Arri Standard mounts, so you'd have to buy old (smaller) lenses with that mount if you still want to use the turret.

Basically Arri cameras and lenses had (1) Arri Standard, then (2) Arri Bayonet, then (3) Arri PL (Positive Lock) mounts, each bigger and sturdier than the last to handle bigger & heavier lenses like zooms.

I think to convert it to a PL-mount, you'd be disabling the 3-lens turret feature, permanently probably.  I'm not sure, but I believe the turret uses Arri Standard mounts, so you'd have to buy old (smaller) lenses with that mount if you still want to use the turret.

Basically Arri cameras and lenses had (1) Arri Standard, then (2) Arri Bayonet, then (3) Arri PL (Positive Lock) mounts, each bigger and sturdier than the last to handle bigger & heavier lenses like zooms.

Thanks for the information, David. Are there any specific advantages to using lenses of certain mounts, and the Arri Standard lenses ... are they plentiful or have they gone near-completely obsolete?

• Premium Member

All modern lenses come in PL mounts: Zeiss Master Primes and Zoom, Ultra Primes, Super Speeds, Cooke S4s and Zooms, Angénieux Zooms, Hawk Anamorphics, Elite Anamorphics, etc... If you want good glass you need a PL mount.

Early turret models were 3 Std mounts, later they had 1 Bayo mt and 2 Std - those cameras were properly called 35IIC/B - just like the 16mm cameras with one bayo on the turret (16S/B; 16M/B).

Quite a few were modified to be "Hard Front" which was a single BNCR mount. Find one of them and some of the work is done although I'd suspect most of the Hard Front's have since been converted to PL by now.

-Sam

• Premium Member
Early turret models were 3 Std mounts, later they had 1 Bayo mt and 2 Std - those cameras were properly called 35IIC/B - just like the 16mm cameras with one bayo on the turret (16S/B; 16M/B).

Quite a few were modified to be "Hard Front" which was a single BNCR mount. Find one of them and some of the work is done although I'd suspect most of the Hard Front's have since been converted to PL by now.

-Sam

Hi,

From the prices i've seen its slightly more expensive to convert from BNCR hardfront to PL Hardfront! than from turret to PL!

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

From the prices i've seen its slightly more expensive to convert from BNCR hardfront to PL Hardfront! than from turret to PL!

Stephen

Hey all, I just have a question.

I am about to get my arri iic with variable shutter, pl mount and a cp crystal motor and what I'm concerned about is the PL mount. Out of curiosity, is it limited to only modern glass, or does it allow you to take any of the other lens mounts as well?

I'd just like to try some for tests, so I need to know if the pl mount can accomodate any other style lenses other than just pl-mount lenses. Would I need an adapter of some kind if it doesn't?

• Premium Member
Hey all, I just have a question.

I am about to get my arri iic with variable shutter, pl mount and a cp crystal motor and what I'm concerned about is the PL mount. Out of curiosity, is it limited to only modern glass, or does it allow you to take any of the other lens mounts as well?

I'd just like to try some for tests, so I need to know if the pl mount can accomodate any other style lenses other than just pl-mount lenses. Would I need an adapter of some kind if it doesn't?

Hi,

Basically Yes. However you can get adapter for older Arri mounted lenses. A Nikon adapter is available but you cannot focus at infinity, so just macro!

Stephen Williams Lighting Cameraman

www.stephenw.com

Hi,

Basically Yes. However you can get adapter for older Arri mounted lenses. A Nikon adapter is available but you cannot focus at infinity, so just macro!

Stephen Williams Lighting Cameraman

www.stephenw.com

Would you happen to know where to get this adapter? My arri ii c-bv has a pl mount, which is really good, but I like to have options (cheaper options for certain situations) at my disposal.

• 1 month later...