Byron Sparrow

Hi All

Does anyone know the details of the CCL in the new M series from ARRI?

They are not playing nice with my equipment from other manufacturers.

If I put a Filmgear header in between the arri M40 head and Ballast in will not run. All the pins are wired the same.

It's a real pain to not be able to swap headers and ballasts around.

The lamp strikes with the ARRI header cable, but not with any other manufacturer's cable? That seems to me to be an indicator that the cable wiring is not straight through.. Pin 1 on male connector does not connect to pin1 on female connector of header cable. Usually not the case, ballast pinouts can vary by manufacturer, LTM and ARRI being not the same. I'd run this question past the experts at Galaxy in Cali. http://galaxylightingrepair.com/contact.html

Thanks for your reply.

All the pins are correctly wired with A to A etc...

the only difference is the Arri connector is ground to the shell of the connector and the filmgear is not.

I can't see this being a problem as once the connector is attached to the ballast it grounds then.

I understand both the head and ballast have some circuitry in them relating to the CCL. Is there also something happening inside the header cable?

Wild ass guess, without the shell connection, the CCL circuit can't determine cable length/voltage drop (probably capacitance measurement), so it prevents the lamp from striking. Just for fun, use the filmgear head cable and jumper between the case of the head and the case of the ballast with any old wire. Does it strike?

• 2 weeks later...

Tried my (non ARRI) head cable with an ARRI AS18, no problem. Tried it an ARRI M18 and although the pin and connector seem the same, I couldn't get it to lock onto the whip on the HMI head. Didn't have much time to fiddle with it today, it's inconclusive at the moment.

Edited by JD Hartman