Shooting in a Dishwasher

Tony Muna

Breakdown:

So I just got the details on a job and apparently we are placing the lens inside an active dishwasher. There will be no hole cutout for the lens, full-on splash zone for the camera.

With a little research on how it works and some videos on YouTube I understand how much water is distributed.

At least 5.8 Gallons of water.

Heat drying was not confirmed.

We will be using the PhantonFlex 4K @ 1000fps with a spray deflector.

Probably going to dress the camera with a make shift shower curtain cover and then the standard rain cover the deflector comes with.

Questions:

1. So I was curious how does one clean soapy subs or soapy water on the lens?

- I heard from a tech when something other than just water hits the filter they rinse the filter with water and then it goes into its proper cleaning procedures. If this correct:

2. Would you recommend changing the optics between resets? Changing the optics is a bit of a procedure of its own. Has anyone have any issues removing the optics or any thing I should be aware of on the field other than not losing the screws and not messing up the o-ring?

2a. What sort of material can I use to wipe the water from the optics for quicker drying?

3. Working with the deflector, it already has Velcro attachments for its standard raincover from Panivision but I wanted to find out how secure that is and how well that it will hold up with large volume of high pressure water?

- what other techniques should I do to properly secure that it doesn't leak through?

4. Depending if we do the heat drying, The deflector does prevent fogging, has anyone experienced heat drying such as what the dishwasher will eject or has anyone experienced fog from that sort of sudden change of temperature while using the deflector?

- I was thinking about applying that anti-fog solution. but I don't know how well that will help, if need it.

Thanks everyone who took the time to read this long post and for sharing your thoughts on this set up.

Much appreciated everyone!!