Can anyone tell what lens go best with Red Weapon ?

Mon Lam

• Premium Member

That camera takes a number of mounts and therefore hundreds of lenses can go on it, so the question doesn't make much sense. Best lens for what? Go well for what purpose? Sharpest prime? Sharpest zoom? Lightest zoom? Cheapest prime? Anamorphic? PL mount? EF mount? You have to be more specific.

I really like the potential of the CP2 lenses - FF, super light weight, fast speed at some focal lengths, mount flexibility may be useful for use with the new A7RII

Have also seen a few tests and they look pretty good compared with the Ultra Primes.

They seem like the perfect lens for non-feature / hi end TVC filming and of course will cover the Weapon sensor

So how come they are so much cheaper? Seem too good to be true

Edited by Mon Lam

• Premium Member

they are made for much bigger market and have more optical compromises, like varying max stops across the range.

they breathe less than UPs and the mechanics are more modern.

one thing to consider are Cine Xenars, I've heard lots of good about them. I don't know about their Xenon series which is near the price range of Compact Primes.

I think the CP2's are very good owner operator lenses especially because of the interchangeable mount. They also should SOMEWHAT match to other zeiss lenses so you can rent the ones you don't need very often and only buy a basic set which you'll use all the time

they are made for much bigger market and have more optical compromises, like varying max stops across the range.

they breathe less than UPs and the mechanics are more modern.

one thing to consider are Cine Xenars, I've heard lots of good about them. I don't know about their Xenon series which is near the price range of Compact Primes.

I think the CP2's are very good owner operator lenses especially because of the interchangeable mount. They also should SOMEWHAT match to other zeiss lenses so you can rent the ones you don't need very often and only buy a basic set which you'll use all the time

The Xenon's are pretty nice. I haven't had an overwhelming amount of experience on them, though. To me they seem pretty sharp, especially on C-series, so for a Weapon I'd personally be looking for a lens with a little more character to make up for the sharpness of the camera, like we're looking to rent the Alura 18-80 to use on the Epic Dragon because the softness negates what we see to be a really negative aspect of the Reds in general.

• Premium Member

I think the mount flexibility matters much if you use both PL and Canon EF or Nikon cameras. If you have a e-mount or mft mount camera you should buy PL mount lenses and rod mounted mount adapter for your camera.

e-mount and mft are so small mounts and have so much play/bend so much that they are real pain to use with follow focus if supported only by the camera mount.

So I recommend buying either PL lenses or EF lenses depending on your use and use a very good quality adapter to adapt the lens to the smaller e-mount or mft. that way you can also change the lenses more quickly (don't have to attach support directly to the CP2 primes because of the strong adapter which is supported by the rods) and don't have to shim the lenses all the time because of the mount changes, just shim them once and then use correctly shimmed adapter with your camera which is perfectly adjusted for that particular camera body (camera mount's ffd:s can vary a little if the camera is using still lens mount (EF, e-mount, mft, etc) so it is not practical to shim all your lenses to fit that particular camera and have off marks with all the other camera bodies, if you just shim your adapter you can always use lenses which are shimmed according to mount standards not cameras

• Premium Member

I really like the potential of the CP2 lenses - FF, super light weight, fast speed at some focal lengths, mount flexibility may be useful for use with the new A7RII

Have also seen a few tests and they look pretty good compared with the Ultra Primes.

They seem like the perfect lens for non-feature / hi end TVC filming and of course will cover the Weapon sensor

The CP2's are rehoused ZE full frame stills lenses with slightly improved mechanics and coatings. They were not designed from the ground up to be cinema lenses like the Ultra Primes. They are all over the place in terms of stop and performance over the set, whereas the Ultras are very much part of a set and have a consistent look. Also there are more focal length options with the Ultras from 8mm to 180mm. The 40mm and 65mm I find are especially useful.