small led spotlight

Ed David

• Premium Member

Hi all

I am doing a scene in a minituarized stop motion bank vault - -and I want to put a light in it shooting straight down onto a bag of money- act as like a xenon spotlight - but with a smaller size - almost like LED size - it the literibbon perhaps the punchiest, small led strip that could work?

let me know what you think - I can't think of many other options that would be small and spotty. we see the whole vault in the shot

• Premium Member

I'd consider a Dedo for this-- though it's not LED. I honestly can't think of any Xenon like LEDs in the least-- perhaps, maybe a LEP from Hive-- maybe, if heat is the issue, but on a small scale as such I think tungsten would be your friend-- especially in the cost department.

I would totally vote for a Dedo DLED4.1 kit! I just used a set of 4 of these on a shoot recently because we were working with mainly daylight balanced units and still needed the ability for small pools of light and/or a lot of controlled fill. They're great for what you're describing as I found the color to be incredibly accurate (and I hate most LED units) and they still work with all the standard Dedo accessories. If you need a very direction spot of light, I would suggest a DLED4 and an 85mm (or possibly 100mm) projector lens attachment. This will give you shutters and an iris, and it also acts as a clean spot, which will give you a great beam if you introduce haze. If the output is too much, they have great dimming capability and I found them fully flicker-free (although thats not an issue for stop-motion). Finding a rental house in NYC that carries them shouldn't be too difficult either.

• Upvote 1

are you thinking it needs to be as small as one led bulb? if it the dedo is small enough that would be the best bet.

if not I think you are in the territory of making your own light. yea like an LED flashlight sorta thing. if you need that narrow a beam you might need to look into how lights like source 4's are built and try to build one on a tiny scale.

I think yes as far as LED tech the litegear Lite ribbons use the highest powered most color accurate tech out right now as far as I know.

• Premium Member

thanks guys for all this help - that dedolight seems super useful -

the shot is in the shot - and the vault has already been built so probably using the crappy puck light led things you can get at the home depot oh well next time.

but that dedolight thingy sounds great