Making an open face look larger

Arthur Woo

Hi all,

I've been tasked to make a circular source (1k micky) behind a subject look larger than its actual size. It will be pointing directly at camera, about 15-20 feet behind talent, medium shot. What are some ways to make the source seem larger? We don't actually WANT a larger source (budget and power constraints), just making the appearance of the source larger. We're using haze which should scatter some of the light but won't make it look bigger...any thoughts?

Well the simple way is using focal lengths - choose a longer lens and back the camera up, thus "compressing" the Z-axis of the frame and making the light seem relatively larger. Another good idea would be to find something silver and reflective (like a beauty dish) and fixing it to the front of the light. I did this for a theatrical show where we wanted lights that appeared to be the size of 5K Skypans, but running off of 150w bare tungsten bulbs. We took old clamp lights and wrapped them with sheet metal to create the look of larger sources (because to the eye, all you see if a glowing sphere).

I should clarify, I will be shooting wides and closeups. The closeups will absolutely do this effect, thanks! However, the wides would be a problem.

Your idea about silver and reflective is also what I thought of. Beauty dishes (I'm thinking of the profoto one that is heat resistant) have the circular plate which will be visible (the plate isn't removable if I remember correctly - my beauty dish is at my studio so I can't check atm).

Right now I'm leaning toward at least 1k open faces, since fresnels/lekos have lenses that will define a circular edge which is what the director doesn't want.

• 3 weeks later...

Promist in front on the lens will help to make any direct source larger and smooth out any shaping coming from the lens. For example, if a direct source looks like a star unfiltered, with promist you might be able to change that to a larger, less shapely circle.

Fog will do something similar but you will need quite a bit of it and that may not be what you want.

• Premium Member

From the "Make it or Fake it" department, a possible solution. Get ahold of some patterned plastic sheeting. The material mentioned here is only a 12 inch square, but you should be able to find larger pieces if you look.

(ebay.com/itm/Vertigo-Film-Translucent-Patterned-Sheets-12-X12-1-Pkg-Prism/111791974760?

Cut a circle out of a sheet of black foamcore. Attach plastic to foamcore. Shoot a light at the plastic from way back so as to allow the pattern to spread to fill the circle. You should be able to make a light as big as the largest piece of plastic you can find. You may need to stick some frosted gel in there to spread the light enough to sell the illusion.

I apologize to the professionals here for such a low tech, kindergarten craft day idea. At my level of the industry, if I want something special I have to do stuff like this.

Upon further thought... Get a few of those springy reflector thingies. Angle them right, hit them with something from behind camera. (an ellipsoidal with an iris if you can find one) It could work.