"The Revenant" Visual Style and Cinematography

Hey Guys,

So I am shooting a project in Wyoming. It will be in a variety of environments (mostly forests and mountainous locations). I want to have a similiar "look" (although different to) "The Revenant". I know that mostly natural light was used, and I am in the same boat due to traveling restraints with gear. It will mostly be a guerilla-esque production, although it is narrative. Does anyone have any tips for me in terms of what techniques to use when shooting in snow/wildlife conditions?

I was thinking to mostly shoot early morning with an overcast sky, but wanted to hear your (professional) take on how I should have my set-ups. Thanks for your time.

P.S. - Bounce Boards for lighting? I noticed that "The Revenant" looks pretty amazing for only using natural light. Most of the trailer had a great lighting ratio on the character's faces.

• Premium Member

As you said, it's mostly about shooting in the best natural light for the look you want, so I'm not sure what else to tell you, other than the obvious (the movie has a cool cast and uses a lot of wide-angle lenses following the action up close with minimal cutting, but you can see all of that in the trailer.)

It helps to shoot on a wide dynamic range camera like the Alexa to handle the extreme contrasts.

• Upvote 1

As you said, it's mostly about shooting in the best natural light for the look you want, so I'm not sure what else to tell you, other than the obvious (the movie has a cool cast and uses a lot of wide-angle lenses following the action up close with minimal cutting, but you can see all of that in the trailer.)

It helps to shoot on a wide dynamic range camera like the Alexa to handle the extreme contrasts.

Thank you so much for your response; it means a lot. I will be using a Ronin 3-Axis gimbal and a RED DRAGON. The Ronin will be used for some long tracking shots through the forest; some while on the back of an ATV (4-Wheeler). Other gear includes a drone for aerial footage and a shoulder rig/ tripod (more obvious options) for the rest.

Your advice helped!

• Premium Member

Chivo and Alejandro are very adamant about when to shoot so make sure that you schedule your shoot around the time of the day that you need (if you can)

They also use negative fill and that is something that you see on actor's faces.

It helps creating contrast ratios on their faces or on any other object.

Have a lovely day.

• Upvote 1

Sorry maybe really obvious .. Ronin /Movi gets very heavy quickly being held out in front of you.. a lot of people are now using them in conjunction with an easyrig.. who now make an extended arm for the use.. might help your operator if you have long takes..

I appreciate your input, and I will look into that. Thank you!

Chivo and Alejandro are very adamant about when to shoot so make sure that you schedule your shoot around the time of the day that you need (if you can)

They also use negative fill and that is something that you see on actor's faces.

It helps creating contrast ratios on their faces or on any other object.

Have a lovely day.

Thanks for the lighting tip. I will definitely be using your suggestions. Have a great day yourself, good sir!