Nikon R10 Smell?

David Fulham

Hi all

So I just got my Nikon R10 this week and it's in great condition and seems to run smoothly so far (although I haven't tested it with film yet).

My only issue is though that the whole thing kinda smells.. like a farm, or like horses or something. But I was wondering if maybe this is normal and if it is just the aged leather as it's a vintage camera of course. Anyone else have this with their R10 or R8?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by David Fulham

They almost always run. The important thing is that the lightmeter and control work properly.

I have a collection of Nikons and other cameras. None of these smell other than like a camera in the morning :)

Sometimes cases and such can smell after having been too long in a damp environment.

Wipe off the camera body with a damp cloth or some window cleaning papers. Don't do the glass surfaces.

Put the camera with the door open and battercover off in a well ventilated space. Possibly even outside.

If there is any sun let it heat the camera a bit. That should stimulate evaporizing.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

Dang.

Thanks very much for your reply. Very jealous of your normal smelling camera collection. The man I got it from seems to have a big property in a rural area so I think it could indeed be a farm and it just smells earthy or something. It's noticable when you go to look through the viewfinder.

Good news though is besides that it's in immacualte condition, he said he'd only ever used it about 10 times back in the day then popped it in to storage.

Yep I'm airing it out at the moment and will go easy around the body with a slightly damp cloth. I'm also leaving it overnight in a bag with a container next to it with baking soda as I've read baking soda is great at absorbing smells.

Thanks Andries!

Dave