Feed back on my latest music video

Glenn Heebz

Shot on Canon 5DIII , 24-70 2.8L and 135 2L. Mostly natural/practical for key with subtle bounce for fill/eye pop

I appreciate your constructive criticism on composition and movement as it helps me grow in this art.

Blessings, hope you enjoy.

Glenn "Heebz" Stephen

• Premium Member

Nice work, Glenn. A few points...

I think you needed a bit more fill light in certain shots. The opening nature shots appeared rather flat and when the couple appears behind the girl who is singing, I would have liked to have seen them walk into a slightly overexposed light (maybe a back-light) to grab my attention. It kind of looks like they are video-bombing the frame, but that could also be due in part to the acting. There were also some focusing issues with the close-ups. Were you using any optical diffusion?

Overall, I just wanted to see a few more hot spots and saturated colors. But considering what you were working with, it's good work.

Keep it up!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Bill, good notes!

No optical diffusion used... I agree that it looks like they are video-bombing and that highlighting there entrance would of made a good transition, I originally intended for it to be a rack focus but that got scratched, this was actually a masked shot as the actress is also the singer! So two takes and then layered and masked in post.

Thank you so much for taking the time for the pointers.

Care to explain your treatment of the song?

In the grocery store isle, I found the lighting/shiny packing behind the singer distracting.

JD, the main idea for me was to help convey the artists lyrics and mood. ( I also directed this piece) While I can agree with the grocery store lighting, this is one scene I am fond of. Can you explain how you think you would of lit it in a less distracting way?

Thanks!

Backlighting just seemed harsh and distracting. Maybe it's what you wanted, to me it looked artificially lit. Was that an HMI shining in from outside? Maybe a single or double net at the end of the isle, large enough so its borders wouldn't seen, would reduce the shine off the boxes.

Backlighting just seemed harsh and distracting. Maybe it's what you wanted, to me it looked artificially lit. Was that an HMI shining in from outside? Maybe a single or double net at the end of the isle, large enough so its borders wouldn't seen, would reduce the shine off the boxes.

It was simply sunlight coming through, the location only allowed us to shoot during this time as it was their slowest time of day and we couldnt stop business while we shot. I was seeing the shine and grumbling, but also liking how it hid logos/brands. Ill be interested to see how many others find it distracting. Thanks again!

• Premium Member

I agree with Bill about the key light. One of the most important things when shooting a music video is to have your subject look absolutely outstanding at all times. Even outdoors, you need to control the lighting, which will bring consistency to her face. Plus, when you control the key light, you can then stop down a bit, instead of opening it up to make sure her face has enough exposure.

In terms of the edit. Going from super wide to head and shoulders, it's too much of a stretch. You need steps between ultra wide and head/shoulders. I also missed an ultra wide at the river location, that would have been nice. More B Roll would have helped as well, you don't need to see the singer singing as much.

Finally, this is a real bugaboo... coloring. Her face was quite blue/pail at some points and inconsistent throughout the piece. This makes her not look so good. Brightening and warming her face will bring a whole new look to the piece. I use DaVinci (which is free) and build traveling mattes on actors faces, so I can isolate their coloring. On a nice music video like this, you'd probably want her face to be warm and pretty, very easy to do with DaVinci and even if you didn't light it right, you can fix at least 80% of the lighting issues through the use of traveling mattes.

Over-all good job, you're very close to a decent product. If you wanted to send me a high res quicktime, I'd be more then happy to color a few shots and show you what it could look like. :)

• Upvote 1

I think the back light was the right choice in the super market.. if you have no lights, might as well go for the back light from the sun.. shoot the other way down the aisle .. its just flat and boring.. actually lucky the sun was shining that direction if anything..

Also dont think you have to follow any "rules" about editing wide to close.. esp in music video,s .. the worlds best directors are doing this all the time..

Edited by Robin R Probyn
  • Upvote 1

I think the back light was the right choice in the super market.. if you have no lights, might as well go for the back light from the sun.. shoot the other way down the aisle .. its just flat and boring.. actually lucky the sun was shining that direction if anything..

Also dont think you have to follow any "rules" about editing wide to close.. esp in music video,s .. the worlds best directors are doing this all the time..

Shooting the other way down the isle also meant a huge sign that read "FRESH MEAT" ha. But I am found of this scene, especially how quick and productive we managed to shoot it under pressure.

I think JD,s talk of HMI,s .. and possibly Bills comments about flatness on the ext shots.. is down to them not realizing it was a very low budget shoot with a Canon 5D..without HMI,s to blast in a bit of Hollywood..

Edited by Robin R Probyn
  • Upvote 1

Shooting the other way down the isle also meant a huge sign that read "FRESH MEAT" ha. But I am found of this scene, especially how quick and productive we managed to shoot it under pressure.

A sign that reads "Fresh Meat"? Cripes, pick a different isle instead of the cereal isle. Being a good filmmaker also means being flexible and having the ability to adapt quickly. No HMI? How about a couple of Halogen worklights?

• Upvote 1

You think thats going to look better than the sun.. that back light burnt out look has got to be way better than a couple of dodgy work lights with Colour Balance all over the place.. and cables /diff frames needed .. given the conditions.. it was the best thing to do in my opinion .. I think most DP,s would have gone with that TBH.. you just want to get your lights out of the van :)

Edited by Robin R Probyn
  • Upvote 1

Sure make use of available light when it's a positive thing. I agree with the concept, but in that scene, no.

Since when does Tungsten Halogen have color balance problems? You said low budget, not me. Just because it's shot with a 5D doesn't have to mean low budget. What low budget for a music video today?

Edited by JD Hartman

I was basing it on what the op said.. i.e. running into the super market during the slow time.. and not disturbing any customers.. says low budget to me.. as does 5D.. and would mean no cables or lights Im pretty sure .. Its pretty obviously low budget and the OP openly implies so too

Yes I would stand by that back light sun looking better than a couple of work lights.. . .. tungsten with all that day/florrie light ambient isnt going to do much .. and gelled even less..

Its not a big deal.. I just think under the circumstances it was not bad.. and the best thing to do.. of course not ideal ..but best for that situation .. and he was the one there.. so second guessing about using different aisles etc is a bit pointless.. as we already heard .. the fresh meat sign.. and i wouldn't agree re the work light idea for that shot.. just my own opinion of course.. my only advise would be to rent a couple of battery operated lite panels or similar.. although they might not be allowed to be set up either..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

Based on your comments alone, what will the OP learn from his shoot? That he did as well as he could? There was nothing he should have considered doing differently?

Considering that the guy went off with a different girl, maybe seeing the "Fresh Meat" sign would been appropriate.

A critique is second guessing, isn't it?

Critique is a method of disciplined, systematic analysis of a written or oral discourse. Although critique is commonly understood as fault finding and negative judgment, it can also involve merit recognition, and in the philosophical tradition it also means a methodical practice of doubt.

I just threw the work light idea out there if the budget for gear was tight. No budget for an HMI also means no budget for two LED Lightpanels and batteries and charger either.

• Upvote 1

well not really.. a big HMI.. that was giving that same effect of the burnt out sun outside .. would need a generator to power it.. and big heavy stand.. crew member to be with it.. that would be the same price as 2 lite panels .. ?..

But yes as far as critique goes.. I would have to agree my comments arnt really helping the OP in any way.. cant argue that..

I do agree re the fresh meat sign.. this would have provided a subtle and thought provoking insight ... have you ever thought of directing .. :)

The fresh meat sign would of been super tacky and that end of the isle was just "ugly"... Why not pick another isle? Because this location was pretty much bargained in the first place and this was the Isle the manger assigned. So eh... But again Im fond of the scene, so is the client.

I posted to get as much insight as possible, so keep it coming!

Thanks guys!

Yes I was being sarcastic as Im sure JD was .. :).. Not sure if you had them.. but battery op LED lights.. Lite panels etc are a "cheap " and easy way to get a bit of an eye light or something.. although they wont do a lot if you have a lot of ambient light around.. unless your in on a close up of course..

Yes I was being sarcastic as Im sure JD was .. :).. Not sure if you had them.. but battery op LED lights.. Lite panels etc are a "cheap " and easy way to get a bit of an eye light or something.. although they wont do a lot if you have a lot of ambient light around.. unless your in on a close up of course..

Well no, I wasn't being sarcastic about.the fresh meat sign.

LED Lightpanels, sure less than $200 for 2 with extra batteries, etc., but what about using a simple bouceboard (foamcore, beadboard, pop-out reflector, showcard) to highlight the singer's face in the supermarket? As far as the back of the isle looking messing, was it not the same part of the aisle where the female throws the cereal box down and walks away?

I asked you to explain your treatment of the song, but instead you gave a definition of treatment. Not a lot of visual references to the lyrics of the song. The verse about two head stones together could have become one of those in the video.

Edited by JD Hartman

you were serious about the fresh meat sign.. !!! no come on .. in the words of John McEnroe .. you cant be serious.. !

Would maybe work in a comedy .. but in a video clip about 2 people dying in a car crash.. are you sure that would be a good idea ..??

Edited by Robin R Probyn

you were serious about the fresh meat sign.. !!! no come on .. in the words of John McEnroe .. you cant be serious.. !

Would maybe work in a comedy .. but in a video clip about 2 people dying in a car crash.. are you sure that would be a good idea ..??

.....a car crash. Did I miss something? Are we discussing artistic and technical merits of this video?