Sticks or shoting stick... (terminology)

Duca Simon Luchini

So, do you mean a Still Image?

I don't understand the question.

Stills photographers also use tripods, usually of a different design, but "sticks" is a film industry term. It dates from when they were usually made of wood.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Do you mean where the camera is not moved during the shot? The term for that is 'locked off'- i.e. with the pan and tilt locks engaged on the head.

It isn't helpful for that chart to use jargon. The word 'tripod' is not long or difficult to understand.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Do you mean where the camera is not moved during the shot? The term for that is 'locked off'- i.e. with the pan and tilt locks engaged on the head.

It isn't helpful for that chart to use jargon. The word 'tripod' is not long or difficult to understand.

It is okay. I was thing about shot type, but in this case he talks about equipment, so tripod (or Sticks) independently from a type of framing.

In this case, I think it's purely that the camera exists on the tripod for the shot. For some, it does mean "locked off"/locked down/static, as Mark pointed out. In my experience, it usually just means that the director just wants a lack of organic human movement in the shot that you would get from handheld, even if the camera doesn't, "move".

Tilts/pans/tracking the subject/etc are choices that can be made independent of that sort of thing.

It is okay. I was thing about shot type, but in this case he talks about equipment, so tripod (or Sticks) independently from a type of framing.

It would mean the camera is on a tripod for the shot. Steady-cam, handheld, crane, etc. would indicate some other method of stabilizing (or not...) the camera...

Depending on how this was done, this information is needed for renting the requisite equipment, or operator in the case of steady cam/crane/(illegal drone...)/etc. for the day/week, etc.

Edited by John E Clark