I'm shooting a music video. The shot is a a low angle slow tracking shot in a pie-wedge sort of shape around Satan sitting on his motorcycle as he puts out the cigarette on a horn.

I wanted to have a curtain, set behind Satan, I think of some translucent material, in the bokeh, filling the frame, with a orange or red source shining through the curtain. Imagining moving the curtain to create an effect of an impression of a hellish background.

Any ideas ?

I'm thinking of placing the lights on the ground illuminating the curtain that way...any thoughts? Shot lasts about 4 seconds.

Edited by David Edward Keen

You are thinking of something like back projection? You could try video projection of actual fire although I think I'd prefer a more classic look but it depends on what you are going for. I'm thinking you might want to use moving reflectors of some kind to make the light move.

Freya

• Premium Member

If you're going to do it on green screen, then maybe put the money instead into something like a Magic Gadgets flicker box? In my experience it does a good job of creating a firelight flicker gag. Could help sell the fiery background plate if you use it as a backlight on the foreground character.

You could also get a flamebar and place it just below the frame line for a real fire element. That could potentially complicate your composite, but I find using as many practical elements as possible in a VFX shot usually helps to sell the effect.

honestly i think i'll forget about effects and try to say it with camera angle, lighting, movement etc. it's too easy for it to become cheesy. although some large amount of cheese could be justified, as the tune is about Satan coming over and stealing this guy's weed!

Edited by David Edward Keen