Lens Purchase

Sam Oddo

• Premium Member

I think S16mm zooms with cameras like the F5(5) in 2k crop mode make a lot more sense for run and gun stuff.

They give you large zoom ranges, and proper lens mechanics, and they do it for a fraction of the weight, and still allow you have the wide dynamic range and high quality recording formats of a modern digital cinema camera.

• Premium Member

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but yes, one good solution to the issues of finding zooms to cover big chip cameras is not to use big chip cameras. It's for this reason that I'm so enthusiastic about things like the Ursa Mini, with its ability to window down to 2/3".

P

Hi Phil

Yeah sorry I didnt mean to say.. oh yes just buy a CN7 from loose change :) and for sure you need the work for it to get back the cost.. I put alot of effort into trying to avoid the purchase !.. also tried B4 1.6 crop adaptor in centre scan .. with the very nice Fujinon 4.5 ENG zoom I had.. but for a lot of jobs I couldn't turn up with that set up ..

But I would recommend the CN7 over the Cabrio to anyone in that market.. I rented the Cabs a lot before the CN7 came out (thank you Canon!).. much easier to use focus/iris ring wise.. and the rather odd 19-90.. range of the Cabs ,not wide and not long enough..

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...