Agfa Movexoom 3000, good starting camera for super 8?

David Grary

Thankyou. I saw that one and wondered whether there had been a change. So I'm assuming I should look elsewhere if I'm wanting to use reversal film?

I'm such a new person to this, is it the standard to get back a copy of projectable film from processed negatives or is reversal film the only way to go for such things?

Edited by David Grary

The AGFA Movexoom 3000 is a great camera (wonderful design) but not ideal to start off with.

Try to buy a simpler Canon model, like a 310XL, 514XL, 312XL-S or 514XL-S.

They have really sharp/fast lenses, are easy to operate and give excellent results.

Consider using Tri-X 7266 B&W stock to experiment on, for some grainy reversal film magic.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for a simple point-and-shoot, the bell and howell T20 XL is a good choice. It runs at 18fps with a f1.4 10-20 zoom lens, auto exposure, fixed focus and auto/manual zoom. The viewfinder is also surprisingly bright. You can find them on Ebay for very cheap, I got mine for 5$, threw batteries in and it worked great. Apparently with limited features comes low maintenance.

If you're looking for something with more features, as stated by the previous poster, the simpler canon cameras are nice options, as are some of the simpler nizo's, like the "S" series. They can usually go for $10-40

BEWARE that most of these cameras are either auto exposure, or have manual exposure that is tied to the auto exposure; if you get something with dead exposure you are screwed. If you're willing to pay a bit more, you could get a canon 814 that has a fully manual exposure option. You can find them anywhere from $30-500 depending on the model and condition.

Thankyou. I saw that one and wondered whether there had been a change. So I'm assuming I should look elsewhere if I'm wanting to use reversal film?

I'm such a new person to this, is it the standard to get back a copy of projectable film from processed negatives or is reversal film the only way to go for such things?

Negative film is just that. You'd have it scanned for viewing on a computer.

If you want to project, more power to you and reversal is the only option. There's Tri-X in b/w and one colour stock , Wittnerchrome 200. It's a repackaged Agfa air film, but it's very grainy by all accounts. B/w neg stocks can be reversal processed with varying degrees of success. You lose a stop of speed.

The days of dropping K40 in the post and getting it back in a few days ready to screen for about £10 are long gone.

Edited by Mark Dunn