Hi there,

Just did a scout at the house we'll be shooting at, and it's full of new-fangled LEDs in every room, all set up to be controlled via wi-fi. It's mostly overhead can lights with LED floods, and ornamental fixtures with the new Phillips edison type bulbs. However I came across some LEDs I've never seen before in the kitchen's hanging fixtures.

They are 360 degree bulbs that use the old g4 style fixture. She said the bulbs were Chinese knock-off's that were cheaper. Attached is a picture of one of the replacements with packaging, and another of them in action hanging over the island.

Anyone ever see these types of bulbs before? Worked or had problems with them on camera?

Any bad experiences with over the counter LED's in general before?

I've only shot the Phillips Hue bulbs (which are some of these) and they were fine on Film.

We're shooting RED dragon. Trying to figure out if we can bing camera in on Tech.

Thanks.

post-68177-0-16912200-1446141377_thumb.jpg

post-68177-0-03680900-1446141822_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

All bets are off as regards both colour and flicker, sadly. I suspect - I suspect - they won't flicker, because the modern ones tend to use very high frequency switching power supplies to keep the size and weight down. But I wouldn't stake much on that assumption.

• Premium Member

One good trick I noted a couple of NABs ago is to hold your cellphone, in video mode, with the lens practically touching the light source in question. You'll just see a bright blur, of course, but the phone will select a very fast shutter speed. Since they're invariably rolling shutter, you can get a nice little time plot of what the led is doing by looking for banding in the bright blur.

P

One good trick I noted a couple of NABs ago is to hold your cellphone, in video mode, with the lens practically touching the light source in question. You'll just see a bright blur, of course, but the phone will select a very fast shutter speed. Since they're invariably rolling shutter, you can get a nice little time plot of what the led is doing by looking for banding in the bright blur.

P

That's a neat trick. Have you noticed particular patterns that correlate with certain light characteristics?