How were certain parts of this investigative news story filmed?

Harry Weaks

I'm mostly referring to the parts that seemed to be filmed via hidden cameras. If they were filmed that way, how could they be in a way to uphold the integrity of the production? When I see what's shown, it seems as if there is a hidden camera strapped to a second party in the establishments investigated --and if so that extra party may have seemed like a guest of the party featured/highlighted in the story to workers/people interacting with the main party in the establishments.

If that's the case, the integrity of the investigation may have been compromised due to the premise of the main party having "company" with them in the establishments investigated --and the fact that they had company, the company being male or female, of a certain race, age, or a number of other things that could have effected the way the main party was treated during the investigation.

How do you believe that news investigation was filmed? The hidden camera parts --or at least the ones I presumed to be filmed the way mentioned above? Were hidden cameras used? If so, how were they used? How would you have filmed it? What cameras would you have used? Have you ever filmed similar material? If so, how did you do it? What did you use? Know of someone who has? What did they use? How did they do it? Am I right about the integrity of the investigation/highlighted in the news story being compromised if a guest were accompanying the main party featured?

May I ask you why you're inquiring about this?

I might be able to be more helpful if I knew what you were

trying to accomplish. This particular story was made in 1991,

so the technology involved is quite outdated.

If you're mostly interested in the ethics and general legality

of hidden camera news stories, I can only speculate based on what

I've heard while working for a new station.

I was merely a camera operator, so I'm not sure how helpful I can be.

The camera operator seems to have the camera hidden in something around head level. Given that the subject is about race, the only difference that may be significant would be the race of the person wearing the camera. That is if the subject and the camera operator are of the same race and are perceived to be with the subject by the shop staff. However, that shouldn't affect what they seem to be trying to show in the programme through the use of the hidden camera, apart from the question of how many shops did they visit to obtain this material and so ensure they have a large enough sample base?