Buy Panafision?

Vyachesla Melkov

Hello I want to buy a camera Panaflex xl2, I wrote in panavision was told that they do not sell their cameras . Tell me more options to purchase Panaflex not?

If not , the camera Red - M epic dragon yavlyaetsya a good replacement ?

While in arri I did not write , but their alexa also rent or purchase is possible?

These are all quite different. The Panaflex Millennium XL2 is a 35mm film camera. The Red is digital, so is the Alexa. Arri sells every camera they make, save for the Alexa 65 (for now).

Comparable to the Millennium XL is the Arricam, which is from the same era of technology and design.

What exactly are you trying to shoot?

• Premium Member

Panaflexes are 35mm film sync-sound cameras for rental only, you'd have to look at Arriflex or Arricam cameras if you want to buy a 35mm movie camera, or a used Moviecam.

As for digital cameras with 35mm sized sensors, there are plenty of choices to buy from Arri, Sony, Red, Canon, Panasonic, etc. It would help to narrow the choices if you told us your budget.

Panaflexes are 35mm film sync-sound cameras for rental only, you'd have to look at Arriflex or Arricam cameras if you want to buy a 35mm movie camera, or a used Moviecam.

As for digital cameras with 35mm sized sensors, there are plenty of choices to buy from Arri, Sony, Red, Canon, Panasonic, etc. It would help to narrow the choices if you told us your budget.

I am willing to pay $ 100 000 or more for the purchase of a movie camera .

Is it better to take a film or digital ?

Late model film cameras a quite cheap at the moment. Arricam LT about 10,000 to 15,000 USD.

Search the completed listings on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cameras-Photo-/625/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=arricam%20lt&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Take a look at Visual Products recent sales

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arri-Arricam-Lite-LT-3-perf-Camera-Package-35mm-Film-Camera-Arriflex-/252063983588?hash=item3ab02f27e4#ht_3315wt_1432

There is also the Aaton 35. I saw some very cool behind the scenes footage of director Winterbottom shooting part of Code 46 with Tim Robbins and Samantha Morton, an Aaton 35 on his shoulder, almost on his own.

• Premium Member

That's quite a large budget for a camera package, so you can probably afford anything you want. What are you comfortable and familiar shooting with?

Personally, I would probably purchase an Alexa Mini and spend the rest on camera accessories and a small set of Zeiss Ultra Primes.

That's quite a large budget for a camera package, so you can probably afford anything you want. What are you comfortable and familiar shooting with?

Personally, I would probably purchase an Alexa Mini and spend the rest on camera accessories and a small set of Zeiss Ultra Primes.

Why did you decide to choose Alexa ?

Camera red epic worse?

If you compare the budgets of feature konofilmov then my it's just a little slap in the great sea .

I want to take a time but so that the camera could fit the standard films that we see in cinemas .

• Premium Member

Why did you decide to choose Alexa ?

Camera red epic worse?

If you compare the budgets of feature konofilmov then my it's just a little slap in the great sea .

I want to take a time but so that the camera could fit the standard films that we see in cinemas .

In my opinion the high-end camera systems like Alexa, Dragon, F65, and 35mm are not really that different from each other. We can debate about pluses and minuses of each system, but you can produce top quality work with any of them. I personally like the simplicity and robustness of the Arri cameras, I like the dynamic range and color science straight out of the box, the small size of the Mini makes it very versatile, and the feature set of high-speed Prores, internal NDs, 4:3 sensor, and limited Raw and 2k+ recording appeals to me. That plus some some Ultra Primes would make a nice little kit for $100k.

I'm sure the Red Weapon will be great too, but I simply find all the options in the Red system to be an annoyance. And I know it fairly well, so I can imagine how frustrating it would be for someone who has never used one before. I like simple cameras that just let me see the image, set it up with a minimum of fuss, and start shooting. I don't want to think about modules, blackshading, swapping OLPFs, accidentally locking the touch screen, and how to change the overlays on the SDI output when I could be talking over story with the director, framing a shot, deciding focal length, lens height and filtration, figuring out where the key light is going to go, etc.

I don't personally own any cameras unless you count a Moviecam SL that is for personal use, a 5D, and a 16mm Scoopic. I own lenses and accessories, and rent whichever camera is required. This week, that happens to be 2x 5Ds and L series zooms. Last week was a Cion and C300 with Canon Cine Zooms, week before that C100 with the same, before that Alexa XT with Master Primes, etc. I can make any of them look decent as long as I get the crew and G&E package that I need. So in that sense, the particular camera really doesn't matter very much to me. That's why I would choose something lightweight, simple and versatile with good basic glass - because then you have more time to actually block, light, and shoot which is what it's all about. :)

• Upvote 1

In my opinion the high-end camera systems like Alexa, Dragon, F65, and 35mm are not really that different from each other. We can debate about pluses and minuses of each system, but you can produce top quality work with any of them. I personally like the simplicity and robustness of the Arri cameras, I like the dynamic range and color science straight out of the box, the small size of the Mini makes it very versatile, and the feature set of high-speed Prores, internal NDs, 4:3 sensor, and limited Raw and 2k+ recording appeals to me. That plus some some Ultra Primes would make a nice little kit for $100k.

I'm sure the Red Weapon will be great too, but I simply find all the options in the Red system to be an annoyance. And I know it fairly well, so I can imagine how frustrating it would be for someone who has never used one before. I like simple cameras that just let me see the image, set it up with a minimum of fuss, and start shooting. I don't want to think about modules, blackshading, swapping OLPFs, accidentally locking the touch screen, and how to change the overlays on the SDI output when I could be talking over story with the director, framing a shot, deciding focal length, lens height and filtration, figuring out where the key light is going to go, etc.

I don't personally own any cameras unless you count a Moviecam SL that is for personal use, a 5D, and a 16mm Scoopic. I own lenses and accessories, and rent whichever camera is required. This week, that happens to be 2x 5Ds and L series zooms. Last week was a Cion and C300 with Canon Cine Zooms, week before that C100 with the same, before that Alexa XT with Master Primes, etc. I can make any of them look decent as long as I get the crew and G&E package that I need. So in that sense, the particular camera really doesn't matter very much to me. That's why I would choose something lightweight, simple and versatile with good basic glass - because then you have more time to actually block, light, and shoot which is what it's all about. :)

Thank you for such a full and open response . Allexa clear leader . Easy functions is an important factor . Where can I buy Arri? I wrote a couple of times on info@arri.com but has not yet received a response.

If you do not take into account the compact Arri and look at the model Alexa xt xt then what can advise unless they are sold ?

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Honestly saying, if you don't already know the pros and cons of every of the forementioned options you're not ready to buy one. I would be especially critical about buying more expensive digital cinema cameras because their normal working life in the industry is quite short (they outdate very quikcly). A good lens set plus other accessories is a great advice and good quality lower cost cameras (not a single camera body but for example an Ursa Mini 4.6k pl combined with used Moviecam Compact for example) work very well for low and mid budget work.

The Red cameras are quite good image quality wise nowadays but they still have reliability problems sometimes and the raw workflow is a bit clumsy, although not as awkward as the Blackmagic dng workflow. If you want to go with Red, I would suggest Scarlet Dragon or the Raven when it comes out

• 2 years later...

You cannot buy a Panavision camera or any Panavision equipment, they are strictly a rental and services company. If you ever see such things for sale, they are almost certainly stolen.

I just wanted to make note that Panavision does recycle some of their older digital equipment to a company in LA that then sells it. I own a Panavision HD900F and made sure to call Panavision and they told me the process and steps in which it got on the used market. They do not sell any of their 35mm cameras or lenses though, but, if you are diligent enough, you can come across their HD900F and Genesis. So in theory, yes you are right, but there is some wiggle room within their "we dont sell anything" statement. I'm sure if you flashed enough money in their face you could purchase anything of theirs lol

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly saying, if you don't already know the pros and cons of every of the forementioned options you're not ready to buy one. I would be especially critical about buying more expensive digital cinema cameras because their normal working life in the industry is quite short (they outdate very quikcly). A good lens set plus other accessories is a great advice and good quality lower cost cameras (not a single camera body but for example an Ursa Mini 4.6k pl combined with used Moviecam Compact for example) work very well for low and mid budget work.

The Red cameras are quite good image quality wise nowadays but they still have reliability problems sometimes and the raw workflow is a bit clumsy, although not as awkward as the Blackmagic dng workflow. If you want to go with Red, I would suggest Scarlet Dragon or the Raven when it comes out

I agree with your comments. In fact I'd go further than that, and say based on Vyachesla Melkov's post in this thread that even a URSA Mini or Raven would be a bad idea for him! Rather simply a Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K would already be a camera which is plenty over kill for him.

Edit: heh, I just read this was posted in 2015. Ah well never mind... sometimes this board has too little traffic!

• 1 month later...

I will add though that with the mans budget of $100,000 i think in 2018 he is better off getting a used alexa package of somekind with a nice set of primes. Alexas are going for 10K on ebay for the bodies and he could get a seriously nice PL lens, tripod, etc... Just me but for 100K i would not invest in RED.. not a big fan of red but i admire what they did to continue the movement forward in digital cinema. I think Panavision and ARRI are the kings of cinematic tools.. aaton is up there as well but they i believe shutdown once film no longer was standard