Bridge Of Spies - Photographed by Janusz Kaminski and directed by Steven Spielberg

• Premium Member

Bridge Of Spies

Trailer

IMDB Link

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3682448/

"During the Cold War, an American lawyer is recruited to defend an arrested Soviet spy in court, and then help the CIA facilitate an exchange of the spy for the Soviet captured American U2 spy plane pilot, Francis Gary Powers."

Director

Steven Spielberg

Cinematographer

Janusz Kaminski

Written by the Coen Brothers and Matt Charman, Spielberg brings us a great movie where he shows, again, the reasons why he is one of the greatest storytellers nowadays.

The first act of the movie could be considered a little bit slow in the way that it is kind of vague but once the movie enters the second act, it finds the flow.

I personally think that the whole movie is perfect as I like "lawyers" movies a lot and it reminded me a bit of "Zodiac", directed by David Fincher in its tone.

The actors are absolutely great as in every single movie that Spielberg has directed and Kaminski shines completely through Tom Hanks' journey.

Regarding Bridge Of Spies' cinematography, I have to say that some moments in the movie were very similar to "J. Edgard", photographed by Tom Stern and as I enjoyed that movie loads, it was something extra to add to the visual enjoyment! :)

Ah! I almost forgot, the Hawks have not been used as well as Kaminski used them in this movie ever.

Amazing use of the wide lenses in some moments.

It was a pity not to see David Devlin's name on the credits though! :)

Have a good day.

• Premium Member

I've become a little weary of Kaminski's heightened look over the years, but here in Bridge of Spies he was a little more subdued and it looked great. He's great cinematographer, I just feel his style sometimes overpowers films.

There were some interiors in Bridge of Spies that looked like they were shot fast and likewise, the lighting wasn't very good, but acceptable. However, most of the film looked great, reminded me a lot of Saving Private Ryan, which was exceptionally shot.