camera choice

David Garbett

• Premium Member

I just checked again to make sure the instructions for signing up for the forum were clearly written... It says right at the top:

This is a REAL NAMES FORUM.

Type your Real Full Name
"garbetto", please contact Tim Tyler, the administrator, to update your User Name into a first and last name. I'm guessing that Garbetto is your last name but it is hard to tell. Thanks.

• Premium Member

Since "Masters of None" is a Netflix production, you can rule out the ARRI Alexa being used since they require 4K origination -- that leaves either the Red Epic or the Sony F55 being the most likely culprits, but who knows. I can't find anything online to confirm the camera used. But the Red Epic is used on a lot of Netflix shows.

As soon as I saw the first scene in the show I was thinking varicam at the 5000iso setting, because the light levels are so low assuming a real cell phone was used in the scene.

Later in the show you can see varicam's in the background of other scenes in which that the main character is on set of shows he is acting in.

I think the show utilizes the 5000ISO base of the camera a lot and really has a unique look - you can see the noise, but i feels very filmic, it gets me pretty excited about trying to work with that camera.