ASC Masterclass

Sean Donnelly

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if one has to have huge experience or credits to be able to join to these master classes. I studied filmmaking, directing at the School of Visual arts. My main goal is to make my own film. That was the only reason I came to USA and go to that school. I have in depth knowledge on every aspect of cinematography but I lack experience. I have been studying and practicing cinematography for 4 years, daily. I have a BMCC and all the other tools such as steadycam, slider, some arri lights, some LED lights, modifiers, c-stands, a jib, lenses etc... Since I wanted to make my own films I didn't really try to get into the film business. To make money I opened a wedding photography and videography company though. It was super cheap to start so I had no choice. I also like weddings. I have been practicing my tools at the weddings as well. I am also aware of that the weddings are not enough for me to develop necessary skills. I have read lots of books on cinematography. There are lots of elements could be used for cinematography and some short films would be great to apply them. That's why I am starting to focus on that now. I am editing a documentary I shot at the moment. I submitted my short screenplay to Bluecat screenplay contest so I won't be able to shoot it until I get the result. I am planning to shoot it in the spring. And if I can be confident about my cinematography skills I would like to shoot my feature film next year. I took the illumination experience workshop with Shane Harlbut and it was good. It just made me aware of that I knew most of the stuff and I was able to understand everything he showed me. My knowledge was good enough. However I would like to be confident at when to apply things, where to apply, how to apply. How to create the right mood I want. Seeing the masters applying the things you use makes you become confident I think. At least it's like that for me. Do you guys think a guy like me would be able to attend to these master classes or they would accept only experienced cinematographers who have credits? Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiences. I couldn't appreciate people like you more.

• Premium Member

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if one has to have huge experience or credits to be able to join to these master classes. I studied filmmaking, directing at the School of Visual arts. My main goal is to make my own film. That was the only reason I came to USA and go to that school. I have in depth knowledge on every aspect of cinematography but I lack experience.

Hi Osman. The short answer is no, you don't need to have a HUGE amount of experience, but it's not geared for beginners either. The ASC Masterclass is advertised as being for people with "intermediate" or "advanced" knowledge of cinematography. I consider myself to be at the lower eschelons of the intermediate level.

I also began my filmmaking ventures in college as a writer/director who enjoyed shooting. I only recently developed a true interest in cinematography. Even though it says "Cinematographer" under my name on this forum, I've always felt the most appropriate title for myself has been "filmmaker."

If you apply, you will have to send a resume. And based on your experience, you should have no problem getting in.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for your reply Bill. I think at this point I can only call myself a filmmaking student. Devoted for a life time. After attending to Illumination experience workshop I realized that in a single day I learned more than what I learned in film school in a semester. Based on my research and the previous attendees' comments about ASC master class I'm pretty sure it will be an amazing studying experience. It's not like I have lots of money and I can spend for something like this but I think it's worthed to save money to attend. My idea is this: I have really good amount of knowledge so if I attend to some cinematography class I'll be thought what I already know. A semester or two or even four can't teach me enough to pass where I am at as knowledge right now. Internet is full of content right now but whatever I read or watch right now is something I already know. Of course there is no limit in learning. That's why I'm on this site, and Roger Deakens' site all the time. These are the website's I learn most these days. Shane's inner circle is good too. In the end the best way to learn is to execute I think and make mistakes. That's why I will be shooting much more fro now on. And some assurance would be good. That's why I want to attend to this class. Do you have any other suggestions for a person like me to study more advance stuff? Thank you so much for your time and sharing.