Shooting film economically

Luke Randall

I'm just getting started shooting 16mm film and finding my through the process of getting the best price to performance ratio with indy filmmakers and student filmmakers in mind. I wanted share what I've acquired thus far in hopes it might help others get started quickly and also to hear tips from more knowledgeable folks. List your deals!

Film Stock:

Best prices I have found are factory sealed rolls from reelgoodfilm in L.A. $96 for rolls of 16mm 200T and 250D.

Processing:

16mm is $.22/ft at Fotokem. Since they have an excellent reputation & other vendors (Spectra $.21/ft) had a negligible price difference, I went with Fotokem.

Scanning:

I went with Perry at Gamma Ray Digital. 5k scanner, prices are good, no bollox fees or "packages" and superb communication. Pro 8mm recently got a 5k scanner too but their prices are higher and they offer fewer output options.

.48c a ft for 2k scan to 4444 prores or uncompressed AVI.

Cheers!

Edited by Luke Randall

• Site Sponsor

We charge the following:

Develop 16mm ECN with in house scan $0.12/ft

2K Data on our 4K Xena Dynamic Perf scanner to DPX, ProRes444 or DNxHR $0.30/ft with a $150 minimum if you supply a drive for the scans to go back on, $25 more for a Cinelab rental drive.

We have run work for many international 16mm Ad campaigns, archives and a upcoming HBO show on the 4K Dynamic Perf Xena and everyone was very happy with the results.

• Upvote 1

• Site Sponsor

We are revamping the web site right now and we will have DPX and ProRes444 samples from all four film scanners.

Cintel HD

4K Dynamic Perf Xena 8mm-35mm

5K Pin Reg Sequential RGB HDR capable Xena 16mm-35mm

Imagica 6K Pin Reg 35mm Vista-Vision

I don't have samples organized yet but will have them soon.

We charge the following:

Develop 16mm ECN with in house scan $0.12/ft

2K Data on our 4K Xena Dynamic Perf scanner to DPX, ProRes444 or DNxHR $0.30/ft with a $150 minimum if you supply a drive for the scans to go back on, $25 more for a Cinelab rental drive.

We have run work for many international 16mm Ad campaigns, archives and a upcoming HBO show on the 4K Dynamic Perf Xena and everyone was very happy with the results.

Nice!