"2001" behind-the-scenes photos

There is a wooden gangplank in that photograph with transverse battens on it. So I reckon the stands either used the battens as stops or were fastened to the plank- one of the stands has hole in the legs- depending on the slope.

I think you are right and that they removed the castors and then used the holes where they used to be to screw them to the wood.

It's one theory anyway.

It's weird to see all that archaic lighting equipment on a spaceship.

Even weirder to see all the elaborate parts of the set that never made it on screen!

Nonetheless I do think it looks very much of its period. If someone had done that recently I suspect it would have been a lot moodier. Consider this, which is an attempt to depict a more or less identical sort of environment, or at least equivalent circumstances, in The Martian.

stan%20martian.png

P

By moodier, I assume you mean darker. Oddly both 2001 and the shining very much have a mood to them in spite of being brightly lit. It is especially interesting in the case of The Shining!

Image in post #40, the stand looks like a variation of a T-bone.

Interesting idea... Heres a link for those wondering:

http://www.msegrip.com/product/hardware/hangers-holders-brackets/matthews-tbone.html

I definitely see where you are coming from but I'm not ready to move away from the castor stand without castors just yet. Would be really interesting if it was both tho. All ideas come from somewhere...

Edited by Freya Black

Look at the second one in the same image, it's just a base, 2 legs fixed 180 degrees apart from each other, the third leg is perpendicular to the other two. It's a T-bone, some British version of it or maybe some Mole Richardson equipment made it across the pond. Their older stands are particularly clunky.

You can see the unit creating the slit of light in this photo:

2001_lighting4.jpg

The two stands look different to me.

The one to the front is the one that looks like a T-Bone or like a stand with the castors removed maybe (or even both) but the one further back looks like just a Y shaped stand. To my eyes that one actually looks like a vintage microphone stand. It's actually this second one that seems to be holding the flag/mask/gobo thing. I can't work out what the one in the foreground is up to. Wish I could zoom in further.

JD is there nothing he doesn't know about Grip stuff??! :)

As to the theory that it might be adapted from some older light stand I searched and searched but couldn't find anything close.

It was invented as a T-Boney thing to start with it would seem.

Which is annoying as I hate it when the truth gets in the way of a really good story like that.

Freya

• Premium Member

What I can't get over is how well dressed the crew are! Collared shirts and sweaters? On set?! :p

Imagine how hot and pungent it was on set with all the crew sweating in those clothes under tungsten lights! And we complain now about lighting to 800 ISO and wearing long pants... :)

JD is there nothing he doesn't know about Grip stuff??! :)

As to the theory that it might be adapted from some older light stand I searched and searched but couldn't find anything close.

It was invented as a T-Boney thing to start with it would seem.

Which is annoying as I hate it when the truth gets in the way of a really good story like that.

Freya

Freya, yeah, tons of stuff I don't know. I just knew what they were, because having rented many modern ones, made up of angle iron and flat steel strip, I've decided to try my hand at making a few. So I've sort of studied them. Those in the shots from the set look a more ornate or complicated compared to what's produced today.

They seem to have a second socket, perhaps set at an angle. Perhaps they had some welded up- the angle would be predictable. Otherwise they seem to be the same or similar.

I bet Kubrick picked his own welder.

stand.jpg

It certainly looks like they're fastened to the board.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• 4 weeks later...

My review of THE 2001 FILE (spoiler: I loved the book) just went up on HDVP's site.

http://www.hdvideopro.com/film-and-tv/feature-films/the-shape-of-things-to-come

2001 junkies will find much joy in the reams of design illustrations in this handsome volume, though you need to air the book out for a couple weeks because the printing odor is like leaded gasoline being pumped in through your gas mask.

• 5 months later...