Vertical Banding on s16

Luke Randall

Hi,

I got some scans back of my test footage and there's some verticle banding in high exposure areas like sky at times. It was shot on an SRII with vision 250D and 500T, same issue on two separate mags.

Processed normally then scanned to prores 4444.

I've attached a pic of the issue at it's worst for illustration purpose. Can anyone can shed some light on what this artifact might be?

Thank you

strips.jpg

Edited by Luke Randall

I have seen that before on scanners that are not properly calibrated and thus are creating vertical line noise in the bright highlights which are actually very deep blacks in the negative itself... Like trying to get the detail out of the shadows on a print, the sensor is creating that noise trying to get the detail out of those highlights. Definitely a scanner issue.

• 1 month later...
  • Site Sponsor

Definitely the scan, was it a new scanner like the Scan Station, Xena or Kinetta? then it is a dense negative hilites showing the fixed pattern noise in the shadow range of the CMOS sensor.

If it was a Shadow or Spirit or other line scan system it's a FPN calibration issue and possibly some dirty optics in the gate.

Send it back for a rescan with different light values should be a free redo.