Notes on the Cinematographer - Robert Bresson ($ 250)

Prasad Kumar

One of the veteran DP recommended me this book 'Notes on the Cinematographer' by Robert Bresson. I looked in amazon and looks like only rich people could afford it. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1557133654/...=IJ7UFM0VJWOFN)

Ebay: http://product.half.ebay.com/Notes-on-the-Cinematographer-by-Robert-Bresson-1987-Book-Other/2879858&tg=info

Publisher Green Integer is out of business now, so the books are out of print. That is why the book price is close to $ 200. As a student, I cannot afford this.

I checked at my school and they didn't have it. I also checked three Los Angeles public libraries and they didn't have it. Does anyone know where I can buy this book at a reasonable price? Used copy is totally fine.

I got snippets in the websites here and there but I prefer a book. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Unfortunately when a publisher either discontinues a book, or goes out of business, and the author takes no action to publish again... prices go up.

What some authors are doing who are still active, is converting their 'paper' books to e-book format. I know of one writer of 'script writing' books, whose 'hard copy' books were listed on Amazon used in the $500 range... his response was 'gosh I wish I had a cache of the books to 'cash' in on this windfall'... in any case he published second editions of his books as kindle books, and they now cost about $2-$10...

The wife has used the public library to get 'interlibrary loan' art books, which even if in print are $100's dollars... in some cases she ended up buying the books at the $100s price but that was so she could have the ready reference.

If you are a student or alumni of the UC system or the State Uni/College system you should also be able to get a library card, and access interlibrary loan options.

In the wife's case some of the most recent books came from the University of Nevada at Las Vegas... so it is not limited to just the So. Cal region.

• Premium Member

Books published at low volume by an academic press also tend to have high costs.

I just bought and read this revised edition of the making of Hitchcock's "Marnie" and it wasn't cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitchcock-Making-Marnie-Tony-Moral/dp/0810891077/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449774541&sr=8-1&keywords=the+making+of+marnie

Books published at low volume by an academic press also tend to have high costs.

I just bought and read this revised edition of the making of Hitchcock's "Marnie" and it wasn't cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Hitchcock-Making-Marnie-Tony-Moral/dp/0810891077/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449774541&sr=8-1&keywords=the+making+of+marnie

Gosh, a Kindle book that's $53... although that may be set by the publisher to not really compete with the print version... probably the most expensive 'kindle' version of book that I've bought was the Color Correction Handbook

Then there's 'text' books...

Edited by John E Clark

I just now called AMPAS Margaret Herrick Library. They said they have many film archive books but I cannot check out the book though. Maybe sit and read and take notes.

I applied for the inter library loan. I am on the 7th waiting list. Normally one person can keep the book for 4 weeks. So it may take at least 6 months.

I read the snippets of the book and they are real treasures. If getting this book is this difficult in Los Angeles, I cannot imagine the other parts of the world.

Edited by Prasad Kumar

Hey, do you by any chance read or speak French ?

I'm really astonished by the price of this book in english as it only cost 5 euros in the original French version...

I'm gonna look in book shops if I can find it in the English versions though. If I do, I'll send you a message :)

Well books cost rather less in 1975, and there weren't any euros then <_<

It didn't take me long to find a download.

As David says, it's about directing. As far as I can see 'cinématographe' means 'film-maker'. A DOP is a 'cadreur' or 'chef opérateur'.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Im' just saying that now it can be bought in the French version for a very affordable price. ("only costs", sorry for this mistake).

Concerning "cinématographe" it would be translated by "cinema camera" and the book is about notes, reflexions, on the "cinema machine" as a metaphor for the whole art of cinema.

Hope you'll find a cheaper one.

Hey, do you by any chance read or speak French ?

I'm really astonished by the price of this book in english as it only cost 5 euros in the original French version...

I'm gonna look in book shops if I can find it in the English versions though. If I do, I'll send you a message :)

I don't read or speak French. Yes, please send me a message if you find it in the English version. Thank you.

• 3 months later...