Harness / strap for carrying remote focus unit?

Hey.

I've been looking to into getting some kind of camera harness / strap system for carrying a remote focus unit, I've been using a Preston (usually with a small monitor attached to it) with a simple neck strap...its an uncomfortable weight after more than a few hours and I'm worried the strain on my neck/wrists will lead to lasting problems. There are lots of strap systems out there for carrying stills cameras but I was wondering if anyone found one that worked particularly well for ACs for this kind of stuff?

Find a strap that is long enough for you to sling it across your body in a messenger bag style, I find that it takes the weight off your neck and makes having it on all day less uncomfortable. When you're using it you can keep most of the tension/weight going across your back and less on your hands and neck. In this configuration you can also slide the unit around behind you when you need to get it out of the way to do something instead of it dangling around in front or having to take it off.

• Premium Member

I just use a padded still camera strap and sling it over my shoulder and let the Hand Unit dangle at my side till its time to hold it. I can't put it around my neck for the same reasons you specified.

G

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I have worked with so many 1st ACs who have the monitor attached on a photography tripod and leave the Preston hanging off the tripod when they are not using it.

Some others just leave the Preston + mini monitor in their AC boxes.

Have a good day!

• 1 month later...

Hi, i use the blackrapid rs-4 strap. It will change your life! I have had all sorts from heden carats to prestons hanging off my shoulder and you can wear it all day and you hardly notice it is there. Also it has lock offs so you can lock it to your side and bend over and it will not swing in front of you. Really it is worth its wait in gold.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/808811-REG/Black_Rapid_RS_4_BALLISTIC_RS_4_Camera_Strap_with.html/c/product/#inpage:in+stock?gclid=CjwKEAiA_ra1BRDV-byb_aDqpQoSJAA-ofB9gn_hFCVwHOeePeKQ9S2UNITCf62ZDYWHW4xpM2MmMhoCU5Xw_wcB

Edited by David Steel

• Premium Member

Some others just leave the Preston + mini monitor in their AC boxes.

So do they just leave the MDR on local then when the hand unit is away from them? Because I can imagine the DP or operator would want to constantly adjust focus as marks shift around while lighting.

Hi, i use the blackrapid rs-4 strap. It will change your life! I have had all sorts from heden carats to prestons hanging off my shoulder and you can wear it all day and you hardly notice it is there. Also it has lock offs so you can lock it to your side and bend over and it will not swing in front of you. Really it is worth its wait in gold.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/808811-REG/Black_Rapid_RS_4_BALLISTIC_RS_4_Camera_Strap_with.html/c/product/#inpage:in+stock?gclid=CjwKEAiA_ra1BRDV-byb_aDqpQoSJAA-ofB9gn_hFCVwHOeePeKQ9S2UNITCf62ZDYWHW4xpM2MmMhoCU5Xw_wcB

I actually ended up getting a cheap knock off of a Blackrapid double strap. Its a little more awkward to take the strap on and off, but at least the preston is attached to the strap with a carabiner so it can be whipped off quickly. Its much more comfortable to carry the weight, and the lock offs work great for keeping it out of the way changing lenses etc.

So do they just leave the MDR on local then when the hand unit is away from them? Because I can imagine the DP or operator would want to constantly adjust focus as marks shift around while lighting.

I normaly keep the handset on me, i will always set the focus to where the subject will be. And i keep and ear out if the DP wants me to adjust the focus while he is lighting. Tho if i have to go away from set to the bathroom or craft table, i will leave the handset with my 2ndAC. There will allways be either myself or a 2ndAC within earshot of the DP at all times. Thats what i do and it works well.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

As mentioned by David Steel, Camera straps are life savers! i own both of these straps linked below. I use to Duo strap just i case i need to hang my Disto Meter or anything else that i need to be in quick reach.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1112654-REG/bosstrap_bosss_side_slide_camera_strap.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1120021-REG/op_tech_usa_3501232_utility_sling_duo_black.html

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...