After Careful Consideration...

Julian Holmes

I've come to a conclusion; I want to be a journalist, an independent advocacy journalist.

I want to conduct studio interviews with traditional elements. I have no education and very little money. I'm currently researching the basic equipment required, I've selected some budget friendly products, and I'm looking for feedback. My focus financially, is breadth; I want to put together a sophisticated arrangement with entry level products so that I can begin developing myself as soon as possible. I need to get out there and get my feet wet!

Any input is appreciated, thanks so very much for taking the time-

(1) Impact Three-Light Mini-Boom Kit - [$220.00]

2-3 Canon VIXIA HF-R600's - [$400-600]

2-3 Magnus VT-300 Video Tripods with Fluid Heads - [$130-195]

(1) Vidpro XM-55 Shotgun Microphone Kit - [$80.00]

(1) On-Stage SB9600 Tripod Studio Boom Stand - [$120.00]

1-2 Polsen OLM-10 Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphones - [$25-50]

Total Being...$975-1265

*As a new user I can't link products.

Edited by Julian Holmes

• Premium Member

I dunno, there's nothing wrong with shooting stuff. Television journalism (or its youtubian offshoots, etc) require people to know what they need to shoot in order to build a workable narrative.

Pick up some sort of low-cost DSLR and shoot a lot. Interviewing people on camera is a very particular skill.

P

• Premium Member

if you want to learn talking head type of interviews just buy the camera first, you can manage with the most basic 5 buck stand as long as it can hold the camera to the right direction (don't need to be a tripod, you can use it on table to get it to correct height.

after you have learned the interviewing aspect of things you can start buying the other stuff. learning to capture good quality sound would probably be the next step, then learning how to light good quality stuff efficiently