The Revenant is an amazing experience

• Premium Member

Of course it is!

As David mentioned, there is a previous movie based on the book which tells Hugh Glass' adventures called "Man In The Wilderness", directed by Richard C. Sarafian and photographed by Gerry Fisher and it is not bad at all.

RIchard Harris is "Hugh Glass" :) and John Huston has a "little role" in the movie too :D

Have a good day!

Of course it is!

As David mentioned, there is a previous movie based on the book which tells Hugh Glass' adventures called "Man In The Wilderness", directed by Richard C. Sarafian and photographed by Gerry Fisher and it is not bad at all.

RIchard Harris is "Hugh Glass" :) and John Huston has a "little role" in the movie too :D

Have a good day!

Sometimes you miss a little something in a multi-page thread. Not a fan of re-cycled stories or remakes. Liked Red Dawn, Total Recall, etc., but not the remakes. Think I'll wait for it to hit cable or the DVD release

• Premium Member

I know, that's the reason why I linked the trailer, it couldn't be more different from Iñarritu's film

I think you might like to watch the movie in the cinema, even if it is just to enjoy the technical side on a big screen

I don't know if seeing The Revenant on a normal Tv (like a 56" tv) would produce the same effect as if seen on a super big screen, that's my opinion of course!

Have a good day!

While watching the video I couldn't stop thinking how much I miss them both, Alejandro and Chivo!!!

In which way? Were you working with them?

Seeing The Revenant on a normal Tv (like a 56" tv) MIGHT produce the same effect as

if seen on a super big screen if you sit closer to the TV. (?) :)

Edited by Igor Trajkovski

• Premium Member

In which way? Were you working with them?

Seeing The Revenant on a normal Tv (like a 56" tv) MIGHT produce the same effect as

if seen on a super big screen if you sit closer to the TV. (?) :)

I worked with or for Alejandro :D for almost a couple of years and with Chivo for around 6 or 7 months and both made a big impression on me at that time that is still there.

I don't think it would produce the same effect, unless you have an amazing theatre in your house with an Auro barco sound system :) could be close enough but not the same :)

Have a good day.

• 2 weeks later...

who is the main 1st AC on this movie? seen this second time yesterday and it was Imax.So many out of focus shots really distracted me.Btw i really dont understand how this becomes big thing for cinematography, almost %90 of movie shot on magic hour and of course its gonna look cool and beatiful with natural light only.

Edited by Kemalettin Sert

Of course it is!

Have a good day!

Oh poop? Even it has same cinematography :( ultra wide angle close ups and exhalation on lens.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally saw it 3 hours ago (just came out here) and it's certainly super interesting. I was down on the trailers from the get go but for about 30 min, I was unsure, I didn't really feel it and it's a really important thing for me to feel the movie and for the movie to have a nice feel to it, if that makes sense. It's not really the type of cinematography that I usually like, the use of wide angle lenses for the film really works for this, but it is a bold look that probably won't work for everyone. Gradually as the movie progressed, it progressively clicked but overall, I'd definitely say that I felt like the film kept me at a distance emotionally overall, although I was invested in Hugh's quest, in his relationship with his son (good addition by Inarritu, even though THE moment didn't have a lot of impact I'd say because we don't get to spend a lot of time with them, it still packs an impact obviously, but not as big as could have been)

I think it's the hyper reality of the film, it looks so realistic, it feels so realistic, the natural light definitely gives it that feel, and it looks digital (not that it's a bad thing here, it embraces it), that gave me this feeling. I thought the fogging with Leo's breath was really distracting, I'm not sure if you could avoid it really. It kinda blew my mind how insanely close to Leo the camera was sometimes, Chivo said the mattebox sometimes touched Leo's cheek ! A couple of those close-ups (notably at the very end) are absolutely stunning. I came into the film hoping to be able to notice which parts were Alexa 65 but I honestly have no idea, it intercut really well, I'm guessing they used them mainly for the big vistas shots (like this wide shot of Leo walking in the snow between the range of mountains) and a couple of those close-ups where the detail really pops.

So, I didn't feel as connected as I was with other films this year, it feels a bit cold to me even though it is beautiful, Leo is obviously incredible and it does seem that he is finally going to win this year but he should have won already for other more interesting performances, I kinda wish he had more dialogue here to be honest :D but the story being what it is, he fully commits and it's something else. Tom Hardy is also great, so were Domnhall Gleeson and Will Poulter.

When I think about it, I think the cinematography is the star of the film and I'm not sure if that's positive, Leo and the cinematography are the stars, and the visuals sometimes feel very self aware to me, I kept thinking how impressive it was, how much of an achievement it is, and not necessarily how poetic it is, but yeah, Chivo is a god, kudos to the 1st AC and camera operators too. Very strong movie overall, not sure yet if I want to rewatch it because it's quite demanding.

Edited by Manu Delpech