The Eastsider (a feature shot on B&W s16mm)

Just completed post on my first feature, "The Eastsider" (www.theeastsidermovie.com), a comedy/drama set in suburban Detroit. Shot it on Kodak 7222 with the Arri SR3, an amazing camera. Nothing will ever beat the look of celluloid.

Here is the trailer (contains coarse language):

I'm putting this thread in the "in production" section, since I don't even have a festival premiere date yet (not sure if this thread belongs elsewhere).

• Upvote 1

Looks good, the 16mm Double-X reminds me of Jarmusch's "Stranger Than Paradise"... certainly stands out against all the digital indie stuff.

It's interesting that you compared it to "Stranger Than Paradise." It was one of my biggest influences (I even used the STP soundtrack in the rough cut; it gave my composer an idea of what I wanted; only the first track in the trailer is used in the actual film).

This looks great. Personally I'd be very interested in watching this film and the contrast on the b&w stock looks amazing!

- Hunter

Thank you!

I really doubt I'll ever go back to digital (which I used for my shorts). Celluloid is too beautiful (and, in the end, it's not as expensive as a lot of people think).

Scenes with the black beanie dude seems reminiscent of "Clerks" LOL

Just curious, did you ever consider using Tri-X reversal?

Congratulations on completing your film.

Thank you! I preferred the 7222 over the reversal for its high-contrast and graininess. I love the extra grit it gave the film.

• 3 weeks later...

With high end scanning now becoming very affordable, I feel 7222 looks better than ever. I couldn't agree more about Youtube. That's why there is Vimeo, film looks much better on their site. Don't know why. S16 is a very affordable format.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the Vimeo upload is quite a bit better (no random digital noise). Makes me wonder if I should've used different settings for YT? Not sure.

Thank you very much for the compliments! Hoping for a festival premiere by the summer.

Edited by Nicholas Grillo

Looks good ! But my god, the Vimeo compression is an abomination, it really struggles with 16 mm, it's okay watching in a tiny window, but once you blow it up to full screen, it's just unwatchable. Take a look around but I think there are some recommended settings you can use to make it better, but then again, YT and Vimeo, same fight, compression just has a tough time with grain, either it completely vanishes on YT or it turns into blocky patches on Vimeo. It also has to do with the B&W, B&W is so much grainier to my eyes and plays even less nicely with compression.

Edited by Manu Delpech
  • Upvote 1