Tony Brown

Prjecting onto faces / walls

Years and years and years ago...... it was trendy to project images, generally out of focus nonsense, onto peoples faces in close ups, or onto walls behind them, with 16mm (which tended to avoid shutter sync issues rather than 35mm) projectors. Time has moved on so can anyone advise the type of spec projector I should be testing for doing something similar in 2015. LCD? Reasonable Lumens? etc etc. Dont need anything too punchy, I can drop the levels and get the projector in close, just need to feed the image from a laptop..........

Thank you

LCD is the safest in terms of minimizing any sync issues, even if the color won't be as good or adjustable as with a 3-chip DLP projector. I just used a 15,000 lumens LCD for some rear-projection driving scenes -- I had to shoot at T/2.0 at 200 ASA, to fill a 12' wide screen, so if you are using a more sensitive digital camera, a 10,000 lumens projector would work, if not a 7000 lumens one, if it is just on one body. I was able to run the HD Quicktime clips from my laptop using an HDMI cable.