vertical lines on ground glass?

Wondering what these vertical lines on my ground glass are?

A buddy said they could be rule of 3rd frame lines. Photo wouldn't upload - it's also on my blog http://ihustleandotherthings.blogspot.com/2015/12/blog-post_4.html

BTW this is the the Arri 3C super 35 shifted over PL lens mount that had been listed on this forum.

It has a Jurgens video door.

Super 2:35 or 2:40

Also, I finally got a lens, using an Hasselblad to PL mount - i'm excited to finally shoot something.

I know I could ask the seller but I've never posted on here so I figured I would ask the collective wisdom LOL

Actually, in your picture, several of the baffles are missing. There should be about six I think.

I think there is a typo in the original post. William must have meant Arri 2c, not 3c. However, I think the number of baffles is correct at 2 or maybe 3.

Edited by Eric H

• Premium Member

My 3C does. The knurled knob on the dumb side of the body where the handgrip screws in adjusts the shutter. You remove the lens port cover on the front and look at the mirror shutter. Push the knob in and turn until you hear it click into a detent. You should see a black metal plate extend out next to the mirror shutter, effectively making the shutter angle narrower. The shutter angle setting is engraved at the bottom of the plate. Keep pushing and turning the knob to get to all the other settings. Once you hit the last detent, keep turning to reset back to 180.

• 3 months later...

Hi Satsuki, I'd been meaning to thank you.

I finally shot a test and my footage seems normal as per the shutter angle.

A couple times I've tried changing the shutter angle, but as I push in on the knob nothing seems to click; I don't want to push the issue (pun intended) and break something. It just occurred to me, should I turn the mirror shutter out of the way first perhaps?

• Premium Member

I'm not actually familiar with the 2C/3C variable shutter, only played with one once ages ago. They're not very common in this neck of the woods.

From memory you pushed in a button to hold the variable segment and turned the inching knob to shift around the mirror until the set angle detents locked in. The button could get gummed up I guess, or the variable segment could be bent. I can't remember if the shutter needs to be in a particular position first.

You should be able to take the side cover off to have a look without too much trouble. See my cinetinker blog entry on the 2C for guidance:

http://cinetinker.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/arriflex-35-iic.html

Thanks Satsuki and Dom.

I just tried again: I pushed the nob and it kind of gave way and traveled and turned a bit further, and I held it there, it was under tension wanting to push and twist back; then I turned the inching nob till it came to a stop. Also, I tried with the mirror turned out of the way first, before I turned the inching knob.

I didn't see the shutter angle plate stick out.

But I think I see what I should look for, is it kind of like a dual prop on a boat?

Is the black plate behind one of the wings of the butterfly (or both) shaped the same as the mirror?

Concept: So as the mirror rotates does it still reflect the light the same as normal into the viewfinder under all shutter angles? But the light is blocked (by degrees) as it turns because of the plate blocking the light? Something like that right? LOL

Dom i'll check out that link.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Yup, that's the idea. Changing the shutter angle on my camera required quite a bit of force to move knob, for what it's worth.

Btw Dom, would you happen to know if the Master Primes will clear the 2C shutter? I mounted a 32mm the other day and inched the knob. It seemed ok, but I wanted to check before actually running the camera.

• Premium Member

Master Primes on a 2C eh? That's an interesting combination..

It should be fine. Arri pretty much stuck to the same depth clearance for 35mm over the decades, I've never come across a 35mm format PL lens that didn't clear an Arri 35mm camera mirror/shutter outside of the Angenieux DPs. Always worth checking if you're not sure though. If you can inch the mirror/shutter around with the lens fitted (and set to infinity) then it will be ok to run.

• 2 weeks later...

My Arri 3C has only 2 baffles (vertical) as well, just checked. Possibly something that was changed from the 2C? Mine are centered though, possibly because it's still centered for Academy 35.

My Arri 2IIC has 5 buffels. Just as Jean Louis mentioned...