Looking for synced tape recorder

David Grary

I'm new to super 8 filmmaking, and I'm wondering if any of you folks know how I can find a portable tape recorder compatible with the sync capabilities of a Bauer Royal 8. I want to be able to record in a period correct setup, but since sound film is no more, sync will have to do.

Thanks.

Edited by David Grary

I don't think that is a crystal sync camera, which means the camera speed will vary a bit over time. Traditionally such cameras would provide a sync pulse that would be recorded on the tape recorder, so that when the tape is transferred it would be locked to this sync pulse. This pulse can take a number of forms like a sine wave or individual pulses for each frame, but it did involve having further equipment to read the pulse and control the tape speed when the tape is taken into audio post production.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

The only super-8 camera ever offered with built-in crystal sync was the Beaulieu 6008 Pro and the 7008 Pro. Otherwise many cameras were modified to crystal control after the fact by various service providers.

Crystal sync audio recorders were also offered at this time. I have a lot of information about these systems if you need more specifics.

Did anyone ever make a software syncronizer? Like a plugin for Final Cut/Avid/Premiere?

It should be straightforward conform the audio to the sync pulses (or pilotone if you're really lucky) on a second audio track. I mean, the frames are typically discrete. And the rate is constant (1 pulse every 4 frames on the Leicina Special).

I'm guessing the waning popularity of Super 8 and rise of better digital cameras makes it too late now.

Is this Royal 8 with the thin pin micro DIN (?) connector? Also found on some Agfa, Canon, Nizo and other Bauers?

This has a on/off and sync signals on several pins.

You could then attempt to find a Philips 2209 cassette recorder or an Uher. Or search a bit to use multichannel recorders and put the sync on one of these. Unless the camera is really slopy you could also sync with clapper and fit the sound later. Most cameras really don't drift that much. Certainly not in between start and stop.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

Hey thanks for the replies guys.

I think the socket it has is DIN - it has 8 pins in an arrangement similar to this picture [ http://www.discountcarstereo.com/images/images/8pindin.jpg] but the 8 are all around the outside of a larger middle hole and it isn't the 9 pin DIN because it looks completely different to mine... I'll post a pic in the morning and hopefully we can find out what I have.

In the meantime, great suggestions for recorders.

Also, that plugin idea would be a godsend, and would be ideal for many people who don't have the specific recorders, I'm sure!

Edited by David Grary

Did anyone ever make a software syncronizer? Like a plugin for Final Cut/Avid/Premiere?

It should be straightforward conform the audio to the sync pulses (or pilotone if you're really lucky) on a second audio track. I mean, the frames are typically discrete. And the rate is constant (1 pulse every 4 frames on the Leicina Special).

I'm guessing the waning popularity of Super 8 and rise of better digital cameras makes it too late now.

A long time ago Mattias (I think) wrote a piece of software that would sync up audio using the pulses from the flash socket recorded on one of the stereo pairs. Mini discs recorders were popular for this at the time. It wasn't that popular because it was about the same time that people realised you could get really good sync by slating both head and tails.

Freya

• Upvote 1