Brand new to Super-8 need some help

Seth Eoff

Hi, I got a Bell & Howard 2143 XL for christmas, and for all I searched, I cant really figure out what film to use. I know it is 8mm, but, as this is my first film recorder, I dont really understand any of the labeling on them. The reason I came to this part of the forum is I saw another post on this recorder, but it didnt really didnt help me much. Thanks a bunch for any help!

There are quite a few film options available from Kodak, Adox, Foma, and Wittner. Maybe take a look at some Super 8 film samples on Vimeo and decide what kind of look you're interested in.

Personally I'd recommend starting with Kodak's Vision 3 50D for daylight and 500T for low light interiors. Both can be ordered directly from Kodak. Pro8mm also sells these films repackaged with prepaid mailers for processing and transfer. I've never used their services, but it seems like a convenient way for beginners to get started with Super 8.

Keep in mind that the 2143 XL's internal light meter was designed for use with ASA 40, 160, and 400 films. Depending which film you choose, you may have to use the camera's "contrast control" feature (exposure compensation) to expose it correctly.

Hello. I'm also new here too. I'm a fine artist, from London but living in Belgium.

Providence has supplied me with a very nice Sankyo CME 880 for 10 euros, and now I'm really keen to put it to use.

I'm struggling just a little with exposure settngs, which I intuitively grasped for 35mm still photography but super 8 is a slightly different ball game... not so easy to go hmmm I'll try f. 5.6 at 125th ...etc etc

I have a cartridge of Wittnerchrome 200d to check out the camera, which films at 18 fps. I'm certain the CME is working fine, so it should automatically expose ok, although it will / should work fully manually. I prefer setting my own f stops which I always did with 35 mm still photography so....I want to do this with Super 8 too

I'm looking to film a local factory building and want to shoot in early evening or morning in semi darkness, the factory is partially lit, and the surroundings are bright, but not city mainstreet bright

Will the 200 asa Wittner (Agfa) cope with this, as I figure at 18 fps the shutter speed will be 1/ 32 sec?

Because of the costs I intend to project and telecine myself (done it before), so I'm limited to future usage of revesal film, and I can't afford to have prints made or go for colour negative/ telecin, so I know this puts Kodak Vision stock out of reach.

I really like that classic Grainy Derek Jarman type super 8 feel.That's what I'm after

I'd be grateful for any advice

that camera may not be the best for what you want to shoot. It probably will not work all that well in low light. I suggest purchasing another camera, they are very cheap. Buy one that has XL in the name and one that has an interval timer like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Braun-Nizo-148XL-Super-8mm-film-MOVIE-Cine-camera-LIMITED-Set-SHOULDER-POD-36fps-/321957423971?hash=item4af6286b63:g:i6IAAOSwZ1lWe-EM