Beaulieu 4008 ZMII battery trouble.

Hey!

So I am really excited because I got my grandads BEAulieu 4008 ZMII for Christmas. The thing is that it hasnt been used in 15 years. He took great care of it but the batteries are not in great shape. Does anybody now about where and how to get new batteries? Or any good servicing in London as well to look over it?

Any help will be appreciated. I have shot a ton on a Bolex but I'm new to 16mm!

x

Hey!

So I am really excited because I got my grandads BEAulieu 4008 ZMII for Christmas. The thing is that it hasnt been used in 15 years. He took great care of it but the batteries are not in great shape. Does anybody now about where and how to get new batteries? Or any good servicing in London as well to look over it?

x

Hello Camille , Not a cheap thing to replace , 1/ can get the old batteries recelled ,

2/ Wittner Film gmbh , get a new one ,

also maybe the camera needs to be CLA as thats a long time not in use ,

C

Hey!

x

If it needs to be serviced it's best to send it to Bjorn Anderson in Sweeden which is not so bad at the moment as the UK is still in the EU. You might get lucky and find that it works okay tho. I would start by testing it at low speeds like 9fps or 18fps. Be wary of going to the higher speeds especially without a cart in there.

Batteries can be re-celled so don't throw them out! They can also be used to make battery adaptors.

New batteries and stuff can be had from bjorn and from Wittner in Germany too. Not cheap I'm afraid.

Beaulieu 4008 is a great camera tho!!!

Freya

Hey!

x

Er, you still are. The 4008 is Super-8.

I don't think there are any plans to prohibit postage to Sweden in the event of UK withdrawal from the EU

I don't think there are any plans for anything in the event of a UK withdrawl from the EU.

Okay Nicola Sturgeon might have something in mind...

I think Mr Cameron will just be like "oops!"

This government isn't really into doing anything with much thought about it, its more like let's just throw stuff out there and see what sticks.

Of course the problem with sending stuff to the states for example, isn't the postage cost but getting hit by customs by your camera as it travels each way and having to pay VAT and customs processing charges etc.

You avoid all these issues in the EU.

Freya

The UK and Sweden were founder members of the EFTA customs union in 1960, long before either became a member of the EEC.

Very true, and the sensible thing to do in the event of Brexit would be to rejoin EFTA I suspect, although there is the question of whether Sweeden would also leave the EU and re-join EFTA! ;) In practice I suspect that an EFTA based Britain would be unlikely to impose a customs tarriff with the EU but it's all a bit unknown. It would depend how silly things became.

I was more pointing out the present situation with shipping stuff back and forth to sweeden is quite easy.

Freya

It is a misunderstanding among Brexit favouring Brits to think that they can have their cake and eat it. I.e. when exiting EU they will certainly not be invited or accepted as member in other European institutes as if nothing happened and certainly will not be seen as a favoured nation. Like Switserland or Norway who are on their 'own', cannot vote on anything but comply and contribute to all EU regulations and instutions at free will.

Scotland will abandon the UK and apply for EU membership the same day. Wales might do the same. North Ireland too or they might possibly join Ireland :)

Prepare for all industries who landed in UK after joining EU to abandon UK the minute the UK steps out. There is no point for them to stay in.

Wish all a lot of wisdom in the voting booth.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

The 4008 is super-8 ...

Don't experiment too much with the battery in camera charging!

Sometimes the old cells get hot and swell during charging and will crack

the circuitboard underneath. Possibly you could test the camera

with the battery in and with the charger plugged in.

Use the test function to check for voltage. Run it when it is OK.

Don't use the high speeds without film in!

The batteryblock can be recelled at several locations in EU

The pro suppliers everywhere charge steeply, 'hailing' magical skills and components.

Don't have anybody work on your camera unless it is broken.

If it ain't broken don't fix it!

Spending Euro 400 at 'needed' maintenance every so few years is nonsens.

Test it before important jobs and have fun shooting.

And practice a bit before before going to the North pole or such.

All the manual operation takes getting used to.

Scotland will abandon the UK and apply for EU membership the same day. Wales might do the same.

Scotland is a constituent nation of the UK and has no power to do any such thing. There would be the small matter of secession first as it will not be granted another referendum. Whether the EU would welcome a country which abandoned its legal relationships so easily is an interesting question. Wales is a principality with no appetite for independence and even less power in that direction.

I had been playing devil's advocate in response to what I thought was a suggestion that the EU is the only game in town. My electoral opinion on membership has never been sought, in common with many millions of my fellow subjects, and I am marginally, at the moment, in favour of continued membership, but being threatened with imaginary preposterous consequences by federalists does not encourage me.

Edited by Mark Dunn

I am not a voter. :)

It is just what I read from the paper and opinions.

The Scots will grant themselves a referendum they will not need be allowed one. Conditions would have changed after a Brexit. The stay voters was promised a lasting EU fullmembership. It has already been mentioned and it will happen again. They will take what is theirs from the Union. They certainly will keep their gas and oil revenues and may want those taken earlier by the UK back.

I am not a voter. :)

It is just what I read from the paper and opinions.

The Scots will grant themselves a referendum they will not need be allowed one. Conditions would have changed after a Brexit. The stay voters was promised a lasting EU fullmembership. It has already been mentioned and it will happen again. They will take what is theirs from the Union. They certainly will keep their gas and oil revenues and may want those taken earlier by the UK back.

The last referendum was held with the agreement of the UK parliament. The Act of Union is, among other things, a treaty between states and its repeal requires the consent of the UK parliament. Unilateral withdrawal from it is secession, not independence. The only promise made, by the EU, was that an independent Scotland would have to apply for membership. Oil and gas revenues do not belong to Scotland- their determination is a matter reserved to the UK parliament.

If this is what you are reading then what you are reading is constitutionally incorrect.

Perhaps we should stick to cinematography.

Moderator, time to lock this one down?

It is a misunderstanding among Brexit favouring Brits to think that they can have their cake and eat it. I.e. when exiting EU they will certainly not be invited or accepted as member in other European institutes as if nothing happened and certainly will not be seen as a favoured nation. Like Switserland or Norway who are on their 'own', cannot vote on anything but comply and contribute to all EU regulations and instutions at free will.

Well Britain was a founding member of EFTA and may well be allowed to re-join I suspect as it would be advantageous to the other EFTA countries.

How it would all actually pan out in the event of a brexit we can only guess.

Freya

The last referendum was held with the agreement of the UK parliament. The Act of Union is, among other things, a treaty between states and its repeal requires the consent of the UK parliament. Unilateral withdrawal from it is secession, not independence. The only promise made, by the EU, was that an independent Scotland would have to apply for membership. Oil and gas revenues do not belong to Scotland- their determination is a matter reserved to the UK parliament.

If this is what you are reading then what you are reading is constitutionally incorrect.

Perhaps we should stick to cinematography.

Moderator, time to lock this one down?

I think that in event of a brexit, assuming that Scotland voted to stay in the union. It is possible there could be a referndum.

It's also possible there might not be, in which case your secession is also a possibility which could then turn ugly... or not... it just all depends really.

It's funny I'm quite enjoying the discussion as people are saying some interesting things but obviously it doesn't have much to do with batteries for classic Super 8 cameras.

It does make me smile that you are calling for the moderator to lock this one down Mark, as you were the one who took us on this tangent in the first place. I was just pointing out that it is easy to send the camera for servicing to Sweeden because we are also in the EU.

Freya

I was just pointing out that it is easy to send the camera for servicing to Sweeden because we are also in the EU.

Freya

....and I was just pointing out that that was not the reason. Anywhere in EFTA would be just the same. European trade didn't start in 1956, or 1973, or even 1995 when Sweden joined the EEC. Scotland won't have a separate vote in the EU referendum.

I think that my playing devil's advocate was misconstrued and didn't feel able to let some pretty ignorant suppositions stand. But now it's time for a break.

Edited by Mark Dunn

....and I was just pointing out that that was not the reason. Anywhere in EFTA would be just the same. European trade didn't start in 1956, or 1973, or even 1995 when Sweden joined the EEC. Scotland won't have a separate vote in the EU referendum.

I think that my playing devil's advocate was misconstrued and didn't feel able to let some pretty ignorant suppositions stand. But now it's time for a break.

Nobody said Scotland would have a separate vote in the EU referendum!?

As to the rest. How is it not the reason? If you send your camera to the USA for repair there will be the issues of customs and charges as it travels in both directions. This does not happen if you send your camera to Sweeden as both countries are in the EU and yes you are right, many years ago when the UK and Sweeden were both in EFTA then it may well have been easy to post stuff to Sweeden too, however that doesn't seem that relevant to the original posters issue whereas the fact both countries are in the EU right now is relevant.

Freya

• 4 months later...
Boys,

where I ought to do the re-cell (I have old battery, battery charger and also container for recharge, all in good state, It does not suit me to buy a new battery) of the battery of Beaulieu 4008 ZM II?

I saw a little 'around the web, but if you can do it even... Better in Europe, I am in Italy.

Mr. Bjorn Andersson is still active?

Thank you!

• 3 months later...

To get back to the original topic....

Du-all Camera in nyc sells an external battery that connects to a dummy battery for Beaulieu cameras. The wittner batteries seem very expensive. The external battery works very well.