"As Arri" HMIs

Evan Bourcier

I wouldn't at al be surprised if the switch was fake. To be hones, for the price, I honestly don't caret. Maybe I could get a quieter fan and a proper bulb (that'd probably help with the green spike too) but then, what's the point? - I got it because it was super cheap if I spend time and money on minor improvements then it becomes a quite expensive not very good lamp!

I'd buy a "real" one, but honestly, they're not a couple of times more expensive, they're ten times more expensive.

Here is a third reason to buy a real power factor corrected Arri ballast: the Chinese Arri knock-off ballasts generate considerable electrical noise that will trip hardware store type GFCIs like those found in residences, office buildings, and now on portable generators (just about everywhere these days) since revisions to the 2014 NEC mandate them on all portable generators under 15kVA.

Phil may not have experienced this because the European version of GFCIs (RCDs) have a higher trip threshold of 20mA. But, here in the states, where a GFCI has a trip threshold of only 5 mA (+/- 1 mA), the noise generated by these ballasts, if capacitively coupled to ground, will trip a GFCI everytime. This makes the ballast effectively useless when filming outdoors where GFCIs are now mandated by code. The only option is to use a film style GFCI, like Shock Stops, that are specifically designed to operate reliably with even noisy lighting loads (use this link for details.)

Guy Holt, Gaffer

ScreenLight & Grip

Lighting Rental & Sales in Boston