John Gordon Hale 2015 Reel

• Premium Member

A lot of gorgeous images here. Thanks for sharing. Would have been even better with some other music, but I realize the point of the reel is to show your material.

Exactly. So unless he's Hans Zimmer using a different name, how is that showing his material?...

No offense, John. Your work is very impressive and the reel itself is very nicely edited. However, this is not the first time I've heard the Inception theme on a DP reel. It seems to be a favorite for DPs who have a lot of Pfisteresque, slow-moving dolly shots in their reels, but it's also a little too heavy-handed and takes you away from the imagery. I should want to hire you after watching your reel...not think about putting on a Chris Nolan film.

There are lot of unknown, talented composers out there. Go with some original music.

Exactly. So unless he's Hans Zimmer using a different name, how is that showing his material?...

No offense, John. Your work is very impressive and the reel itself is very nicely edited. However, this is not the first time I've heard the Inception theme on a DP reel. It seems to be a favorite for DPs who have a lot of Pfisteresque, slow-moving dolly shots in their reels, but it's also a little too heavy-handed and takes you away from the imagery. I should want to hire you after watching your reel...not think about putting on a Chris Nolan film.

There are lot of unknown, talented composers out there. Go with some original music.

I should have worded myself better. By material I mean images.

Well, I appreciate the nice words and agree that original music is best. Sometimes it comes down to what you have available. Also, the title of the track is "Time", I used that theme in the video clips as well.

Edited by John Hale_47084

• Premium Member

Sometimes it comes down to what you have available.

That's quite true. But until you can get some original music together, I would at least cut the 40 seconds of black screen you have at the end. Since you let the music play out until the last note, it feels like you are trying to sell the music, not your imagery. I would suggest just letting the music fade out shortly after you put your credit up there.