Blade Runner sequel

Alexandre de Tolan

I'm trying to catching up on my ASC magazine morning reading and realized that Deakins and Villeneuve are teaming for a Blade Runner sequel!!!

Not that I have something against these two. I love Deakins work. I've mixed feelings about Sicario at the time but Prisoners was a great film.

Now... Blade Runner. This is a HUGE responsibility. I don't care what fans have to say on how Lucas smashed - or not (so they say) - his beautifully made Star Wars IV, V and VI with that mambo jambo Colombian soap opera that were episodes I, II and III (and I don't have anything against Colombian people! I have a Colombian sister and 3 beautiful Colombian nieces).

But lets face it. Scott and Cronenweth work is on a universe of its own. Star Wars can have all the bells and whistles (and certainly the first films deserves them), but Blade Runner is a film of a very distinct breed. In my very very humble opinion it stamped such a high mark in every respect that I'll find it very very difficult to even reach it, let alone exceed it.

One thing is for sure. Every cinematography forum will have a blast commenting and comparing (if that's possible), the work of two of the greatest artists of all time. For some reason though, I feel that Deakins starts somewhat from a disadvantage position, albeit being one of the most brilliant DPs today.

• Premium Member

To be sure, Roger Deakins states on his own website that he is not "officially" attached to the picture at this point.

He certainly makes it sound like he is. He replied to someone just 4 days ago about how the pre-production process is "evolving."

But lets face it. Scott and Cronenweth work is on a universe of its own. Star Wars can have all the bells and whistles (and certainly the first films deserves them), but Blade Runner is a film of a very distinct breed. In my very very humble opinion it stamped such a high mark in every respect that I'll find it very very difficult to even reach it, let alone exceed it.

We discussed this at length earlier this year. Check this thread:

Blade Runner Sequel

We discussed this at length earlier this year. Check this thread:

Blade Runner Sequel

Thank you for the update. Went through the whole thread and aside the personal notes on digital vs film I've found that many are as suspicious as I am. Good to know that I'm not that alone... Or crazy :)