Movie Shooting Schedules

Ernie Zahn

Is there a "ShotOnWhat" equivalent that serves as a database of how long films took to make? I only ever hear how many shooting days there were for given film based on commentary track, it gets mentioned in an interview and like. Trying to google it doesn't seem to help unless I'm not using the right search terms.

• Premium Member

No, there is no database with such information.

You have to always ask yourself who would be taking the time to gather and publish such data, and what the motivation would be, and who is paying for their time and effort. The problem is that there is no reliable, consistent, regular source to draw from, the trade papers and the studios don't always list such information. So it is going to be haphazard, like if someone mentions the figure during an interview for a magazine, or some crew member mentions it in social media.

Interesting. Thanks for the input. I guess I'm curious because whenever I start a new project I wonder if I'm working fast, taking too much time, etc. I'm surprised sometimes when some films manage to get their shooting done on such a tight timetable and others work on much larger ones. I know that every film is different and genre or even director can't be an indicator of how long it takes to make a given film but it's the first question in my head when I start planning a new project.

Most everyone, especially the crew, would be shocked if they knew how long the producer had been pushing the project forward. In many cases it is years, not weeks or months. To the crew it's a gig for a few weeks and then they move on.

It took Spielberg 10 years to get Lincoln made, and he's Steven Spielberg!!

R,