for sale 35mm film some 70mm and lots of trailers and misc theater equip

Valerie Spain

My father worked as a projectionist from the 1950's to 1990's. He collected movies, projectors etc...

The sound equipment has already been sold.

I'd like to find out if there is any interest in the huge old 35mm projectors, the movies and trailers mostly in 35mm

Very interested but not sure how I could pull it off.

Why? Where are you located?

I haven't gone through everything yet. But I know there is boxes of trailers and lots of reels of 35mm...I remember seeing Dances with Wolves and Sound of Music. I think Far and Away is 70mm

The huge carbon burning projectors are going to be hard to get out.

I'm going to start cataloging and taking photos of everything.

Do you have any idea how to find out what things are worth? And any other forums to find people interested?

• Premium Member

Hey Valerie,

I have a film school here in Los Angeles and if you have any interest in donating a 35mm and 70mm trailer, we'd really appreciate it. I need samples of things to show my students and 70mm stuff is hard to get a hold of, even on ebay. I can pay for shipping etc...

In terms of the projectors, decent pictures would help start the search for new homes. Identifying components can be done via image and some parts will have visual model numbers. There are some brokers who buy old equipment like that and re-purpose it. Boston Light and Sound is one of those brokers and I'd start with them. They can tell you how much things are worth and what to do with them. Another good site is film-tech.com, they've got some great guys on there as well. If they don't think there is any value in the hardware, then it maybe wise to find a school to donate them to.

In terms of complete film reels, it would be interesting to know what there is. Some prints of feature films have decent value if they're in good shape. So it's back to getting decent images. I'm sure we can help find homes for most of the film itself. :)

Thank you so much for the information so far. I'm going to try to work on getting some photos of things and listing out what there is down in my father's "basement home theater" that was a lot like a real theater :)

I'd like to try to sell as much as possible to raise some money to help with his care. But I'm sure there will be some things to donate. I think the trailers are 35mm but I'll post photos and names of what I have later. I just know that he bought a few movies in 70 mm but I'm not sure which ones they are yet.

There are 3 of the large 35mm carbon burning projectors down in my basement. They are huge. I've tried to post a picture but I can't seem to get it to paste in this format. If you are interested in taking a look or want to text a photo or email. My number is 919-673-5541 email is malerish@aol.com. I'm about an hour from Asheboro NC

• 5 years later...

I have a 70mm/35mm setup at my home screening room, looking for 70mm features, trailers, odd reels, whatever I can locate.  Please let me know what you find.  My website has some photos of my screening room  -  www.jimzippo.com

Also, are there any vintage posters and lobby cards?  I collect all.  Jim Zippo

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, James Pollitt said:

I have a 70mm/35mm setup at my home screening room, looking for 70mm features, trailers, odd reels, whatever I can locate.  Please let me know what you find.  My website has some photos of my screening room  -  www.jimzippo.com

Also, are there any vintage posters and lobby cards?  I collect all.  Jim Zippo

Hey James, welcome to the forum. 

FYI, you may notice this thread is from 2016 and the original poster hasn't been on here since then. So you may not get a response sadly. 

There are some great Facebook groups for print collectors that I suggest you join if you're looking for prints. Just type in "projection" on Facebook groups and you'll find them. They buy/sell/trade things like that all the time. 

Good luck and happy hunting! 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't even notice the date...thanks for pointing that out Tyler.

In the future, if anyone else is interested, check out this forum. Mostly 16mm collectors, but they have some 35mm people there. You have to join to read it.

http://www.16mmfilmtalk.com/index.php

Lots of the old time film collectors are dying off or already dead. But prices are still strong for some material due to  stock footage companies bidding things up. They sell the footage by the second. And collectors will pay lots of $$ for 16mm reels of certain classic blockbuster movies. ($2,000 - $3000)

I picked up a huge archive of Big Reel publications and lots of other film era newspapers. Probably  5 -6 linear feet stacked. I hope to scan someday, but it is a massive project. They are all but forgotten nowadays except by old film collectors.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/big-reel-issues-film-movie-fanzine-1815340872

I'm not a film collector, I'm an archivist. Personally I buy 16mm shorts, generally no features. I like old stags, Coronet educational films, Encyclopedia Britannica films, films about farming, racist cartoons, WW2 propaganda cartoons, Cine Art nudie cuties, nudie cuties labelled as for artists only, interesting home movies, road trip films, hunting films, vocational films, time capsule films, train films, ocean liner films, underground films, films about artists. 

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.