Kodak announces new Super 8 camera at CES

Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/ces-jj-abrams-backs-kodak-852128

While there will be plenty of digital cameras on display this week at CES, Kodak has selected the venue to debut a prototype of a new Super 8 camera that combines the classic features of a Super 8 film camera with digital functions.

Film has been generating a lot of talk in Hollywood recently as the chosen format for high profile movies such as JJ Abrams' Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight and Zack Snyder's Batman vs. Superman.

Said Abrams in a released statement: "While any technology that allows for visual storytelling must be embraced, nothing beats film. The fact that Kodak is building a brand new Super 8 camera is a dream come true. With a gorgeous new design, interchangeable lenses and a brilliant scheme for development and delivery of footage, this camera appears to be the perfect bridge between the efficiency of the digital world and the warmth and quality of analog.

This camera -- designed in collaboration with Yves Béhar, design entrepreneur and founder of FuseProject -- is part of a Super 8 revival initiative aimed at new and established filmmakers, as well as film enthusiasts.

Plans for the effort includes cameras, film development services and postproduction tools. Following the 50th anniversary of Super 8 [in 2015], Kodak is undertaking to re-engage with consumers to provide new opportunities to enjoy and appreciate film as a medium," said Kodak CEO Jeff Clarke.

• Premium Member

Not to spill the beans even more, but Kodak is going to be a full-stop shop. Stock, Processing and Transfer shop coming VERY soon. So for one price, you will get a roll of film, ship it to them and they will return a high def transfer. It's a great idea and if it works, they want to expand it to other film markets.

• Premium Member

This sounds much like a return to the old old camera days. Hell maybe they'll make the S8mm cam disposable even. Also would be wise if they offered just a way to download the footage/cloud access/share on instagram all from a centralized server-- almost make it a kind of kitsch consumer product (along with a professional offering)

Nice! I have two Pro8mm mod'd cameras so I'm all set for gear but the transfer capability sounds fantastic. I have felt so hampered by process and xfer costs over the years. If I can get a semi-decent HD xfer for $50-75 dollars (film included!!!!) that would hugely enable my shooting for personal projects and travel. I do hope they have the capability to scan max-8 since I went that route with my 4008zm. :-)

I'm so glad to see Kodak stepping it up. WORKFLOW is holding back film way more than anything else IMO. It needs to catch up in a huge way.

• Premium Member

Since Steve Bellamy took over the motion picture department, there has just been incredible dramatic change at Kodak.

Having spoken with him two times now, I got the vibe that he was serious about breathing new life into film and it sure looks like that's what's happening. As you mentioned in another thread, Freya, notice how the main page of the website suddenly went from a focus on digital printing to film? Great to see!

This sounds much like a return to the old old camera days.

That's exactly what I thought when I read Tyler's post. And it'll be interesting to see what they develop down the road...

• Premium Member

I'm super excited to see this.

Shut up and take my money.

Plus they hired a new software engineer regarding their forthcoming 35/65mm camera projects. That is not a typo.

Also, why would a software engineer need to be hired for 35mm camera project unless digital? Maybe I'm not understanding.

Jay,

My Logmar Super 8 camera is a modular analog/digital hybrid camera with pin registered transport, C-Mount (back-focus adjustable), digital LCD viewfinder, USB, 3/5 pin XLR connector, firmware upgradable, wi-fi access point to control basic functions, crystal servo digital motor with 0.001 fps precision (repeatable) and more. The 35/65mm camera projects will build on this and be backwards compatible electronically albeit with larger transport systems.

• Upvote 1

It looked like a Logmar in an another style of housing.

Now it appears it is a likely redesigned version in a new housing.

I am not sure if a built in microphone is really new to Super-8 cameras :)

It is unlikely going to sell at $500 as the WSJ-article mentions.

The components alone are a few times that amount or are they having

them manufactured by the thousands, per month?

It certainly takes away the uncertainty about the availability of Super-8 format from Kodak.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

• Premium Member

I hope Logmar is not manufacturing them, otherwise it's going to be very expensive.

Kodak needs to make these in China or Japan for peanuts and sell them for $499. Much more then that and you're looking at a VERY specialized product. At $499, these things will sell. With the Max 8 aspect ratio/format, improved gate, new stocks and built-in sound, this thing is a winner all the way around. It's what Logmar attempted to make, but in my opinion, couldn't quite achieve. It's pretty exciting stuff and I hope it's the first of many products like this. I truly hope we see a S16 version as well, that will be a real game changer for the industry as a whole.

I haven't been this excited about Super 8 in a long time! :)

Nicholas,

WHERE exactly have you read that LOGMAR Camera Solutions in Denmark is a partner for the newly announced Eastman KODAK Super-8/MAX-8 camera?
I cannot find anything anywhere that supports this, so far...

Bengt Fredén, Stockholm