Just finished my first 35mm Feature film

What do you think of the cover Richard? Reckon we can sell it?

Well....not sure where to begin? If you wanted a retro 70s look, you got that of course. Is it "unusual"? Yes. Does it say....quirky indie movie? Yes. Which may not be a bad thing.

I know what an LA exec would say right off the bat....why is there a fat "unattractive" woman on the poster? You sell movies with smoking hot women on posters, not ones that look like this. These are also the same American execs who would watch an episode of Coronation Street, and say....why are there all these regular looking people on a soap opera?

My biggest concern is that it's so bizarre it's tough to get an idea as to what it's about? Also, I assume that's "Essex" up at the top? That font is quite hard to read.

As to whether or not you can sell it, again, the free market will decide. If it can generate some buzz on the festival circuit it should open some doors. Personally I would not use this art to approach a US distributor, I would leave the art out of the package and let them make their own. I think this art will work better on a British audience, the Americans just won't get it.

It's very common for foreign films to have the art re-done for a US release, that is nothing unusual.

I guess the trailer is next up?

R,

Well our USP is the "fat unattractive woman" we found off craigs list to be the main part with no previous acting experience.

We wanted to go against the grain so completely. It's a massive gamble but we felt it would make the thing stand out.

Rightly or wrongly.

Well our USP is the "fat unattractive woman" we found off craigs list to be the main part with no previous acting experience.

We wanted to go against the grain so completely. It's a massive gamble but we felt it would make the thing stand out.

Rightly or wrongly.

Well, you could have gotten a fat unattractive gurl, as John Waters did in casting Divine for several of his films...

female-trouble-was-the-film-that-made-me

Rightly or wrongly.

You will stand out, yes. I love the idea that you used a Craigs List non actor for the lead, make that part of your marketing story, it's a unique hook. And hey.....nobody knows anything, as they say, especially in the movie biz.

R,

True, but we've taken it to the next level by using someone with no acting experience. It's like Bresson Style. You get a much more realistic vibe. A real empty style. I quite like that.

Well, you could have gotten a fat unattractive gurl, as John Waters did in casting Divine for several of his films...

female-trouble-was-the-film-that-made-me

• 3 weeks later...