Just finished my first 35mm Feature film

Little teaser here:

http://essexspacebin.com

Hi,

I think it's great that you've done this and I'd really hope some people, including me, will be able to see it. I love the part when the woman is talking, but the animations makes it almost too "un-understandable" (remember I think she makes perfect sense). I think the trailer would make more people interested if it had more of the dialog and less of the fast cuts and animation stuff. Not sure if this helps… but that's my thoughts. Would be nice to see a full scene to get a better understanding of the film.

I'd pay 10£ to see it online, but from what I understand many people want stuff to be free these days so maybe no use to sell stuff at all (except iPhones)?

Hi,

I think it's great that you've done this and I'd really hope some people, including me, will be able to see it. I love the part when the woman is talking, but the animations makes it almost too "un-understandable" (remember I think she makes perfect sense). I think the trailer would make more people interested if it had more of the dialog and less of the fast cuts and animation stuff. Not sure if this helps… but that's my thoughts. Would be nice to see a full scene to get a better understanding of the film.

I'd pay 10£ to see it online, but from what I understand many people want stuff to be free these days so maybe no use to sell stuff at all (except iPhones)?

cheers, its just a little teaser. will do a longer one shortly

Rich, can you give your mate a buzz and tell him the next level poop is here and he needs to do a deal now yeah? Don't need much dollar. yeah yeah its not some normal genre fodder etc etc, i know this. but can u sort it. cheers mate

Waaaaa? Not sure I follow?

R,

You mean me send the trailer to a potential buyer? I see. Well, to be honest the trailer would need a lot more work. I'm not sure I know anyone that would sell this genre, as I make general audience movies.

There's a buyer for everything, I just don't know the name of the company in this case.

R,

• Premium Member

To be fair, you will not get an up-front distribution deal very easily for anything that isn't a seven-figure blockbuster, and you certainly won't ever get a presale of a British film under any circumstances whatsoever.

I agree with you in the broad strokes, but the alternative is simply not to do it.

I've told Phil in person that I think he's crazy - he knows he's crazy - but if that's where the muse takes you, so be it.

P

@ Mark...."At least it's not public money"

Are you sure. Spacebin Phil and crew might be on the dole...

Yeah or maybe they drove cars, or used trains, or had medical care, or had their rubbish collected or they rent out flats, or make use of street lighting, or are a member of parliment, or are in receipt of a pension, or work in arts, or get business rates relief, or use a premises that gets business rates relief or works in the public sector.... or any number of other things where public money is involved of which I'm sure I have only touched the surface.

To be fair, you will not get an up-front distribution deal very easily for anything that isn't a seven-figure blockbuster, and you certainly won't ever get a presale of a British film under any circumstances whatsoever.

I agree with you in the broad strokes, but the alternative is simply not to do it.

I've told Phil in person that I think he's crazy - he knows he's crazy - but if that's where the muse takes you, so be it.

P

I didn't mean it to sound like it did. It's a terrific idea. I love it.

Yeah or maybe they drove cars, or used trains, or had medical care, or had their rubbish collected or they rent out flats, or make use of street lighting, or are a member of parliment, or are in receipt of a pension, or work in arts, or get business rates relief, or use a premises that gets business rates relief or works in the public sector.... or any number of other things where public money is involved of which I'm sure I have only touched the surface.

I suspect you know exactly what I meant by 'public money'.

We both have jobs and used our spare money to finance the film. Plus I had a mate at the mill who scanned the neg for free which made it cheaper, plus I owned the camera etc. Phil is right I'm an idiot for doing it. I could of used the money on a new kitchen bathroom and all the rest. Oh well, life is short etc

@ Freya (goddess of love, beauty, war and the other thing)

I think a van full of people on the dole busy making a film is more special than any of that.

It would be very cool.

Not sure it sounds very likely that people on benefits would be able to have a van and afford to shoot on film but hey I guess they might all be living in the van. That would seem about right.

We both have jobs and used our spare money to finance the film. Plus I had a mate at the mill who scanned the neg for free which made it cheaper, plus I owned the camera etc. Phil is right I'm an idiot for doing it. I could of used the money on a new kitchen bathroom and all the rest. Oh well, life is short etc

The film looks kinda cool if somewhat odd. I like what I have seen so far!

Probably better to have done something than to have a new Bathroom anyway. :)

Freya

If you're looking for stateside distribution, you may want to try Troma. I have no personal contacts with anyone there or knowledge of how they do business at all. I'm only recommending them cause they have a long history of distributing "offbeat" filmmaking. Worth a look I'd say.

• Premium Member

Phil is right I'm an idiot for doing it. I could of used the money on a new kitchen bathroom and all the rest. Oh well, life is short etc

Regardless of whether or not the film is a success, it's an accomplishment to be proud of.

Best of luck.

• Upvote 1

If you're looking for stateside distribution, you may want to try Troma. I have no personal contacts with anyone there or knowledge of how they do business at all. I'm only recommending them cause they have a long history of distributing "offbeat" filmmaking. Worth a look I'd say.

Troma may be an option... I've only been at one event were Lloyd Kaufman presented and had a 'handshake' meet and greet afterwards... but from the site they do want finished films. An probably a truck load of legal documents proving 'you own your film'...

If you get married, the choice will be made... the Kitchen and Bathroom, as well as a useless chunk of carbon to impress her parents and friends. Oh, and there's the 10 year anniversary upgrade on that useless chunk of carbon, because the original one was so cheap and small...

That or the divorce settlement which will stick you with the kid's support through college.

Edited by John E Clark