Just finished my first 35mm Feature film

Waaaaaaa? I'm seeing a 12.7M domestic gross on this. Still damn impressive, but a long long way from 100M.

R,

Regardless, every filmmaker thinks they are owed something just because they make a film of any kind, and I certainly used to be one of those people. My point is, if the film is excellent, it will be found out, all this other crap will be swatted away, and that's the truth. Not many people were cut out to do this, so there has to be at least some level of passion for those who can't get anything going. If filmmaking because a drudgery, then that would be the right moment to quit. Even a small indie horror film like Paranormal Activity, which was made for 20k dollars was made with passion, it just shows when there is vigor involved. Anyone trying to rehash from other successful films are just flooding the moviemaking landscape with insignificant films. And it's not so much about the idea, it's about the execution of the idea. Stanley Kubrick's 'Fear and Desire' was a terrible screenplay, with people who couldn't act, yet his vision was so good that everyone noticed that talent of his, and that's how he made a second film. So...

Some people really like making genre movies!

Reservoir Dogs was a great genre movie, but it was unique because it had a different take on the genre. Like I said, if you don't have anything interesting to say, or at least a fresh take on something, then why do it at all. Why would anyone want to remake The Departed on 16mm film with bad actors, if the real film is already there. it's just wrong and pointless to leech off of another great film just to bang out a buck. Roger Corman gave a lot of great, young filmmakers their start, but those films weren't the most original of films. Someone like Scorsese gained invaluable experience, something he would use in Mean Streets, but other than that, Boxcar Bertha wasn't really a Scorsese picture, it was a Roger Corman movie.

• Premium Member

I can't help but wonder why anyone would even bother to pick up a camera to just try and make "commercial" films, whatever that means. Why not be honest to your own vision, and not care about what everyone else would want to see. I think that's why today there's a lot of insignificant films flooding the moviemaking landscape, if film was just a "business" then why not become a real business man, you certainly don't need a camera for that.

A commercial film is something that looks professional, sounds professional, has actual actors in it, and tells a story in a more conventional way.

Like I said, if you don't have anything interesting to say, or at least a fresh take on something, then why do it at all.

You really should move to Canada and make films here, your philosophy above is what many believe here. Those Canadians that actually want to make money in film pack up and move to the USA.

I'm going to disagree with you entirely, film does not need to "say" anything. It can exist for pure entertainment and financial purposes only. What does the new Star Wars say? What does it say about the human condition? I guess the only thing the new Star Wars says is that women and minorities can be the stars of a Star wars movie? I dunno?

I'm pretty sure Disney made it to make.....money. And they don't really care about any other considerations.

Of course in film the, art vs commerce debate, is as old as film itself :)

R,

Stanley Kubrick's 'Fear and Desire' was a terrible screenplay, with people who couldn't act, yet his vision was so good that everyone noticed that talent of his, and that's how he made a second film. So...

By everyone, you mean his family who stumped up thousands and thousands of dollars so he could make his next movie?

Roger Corman gave a lot of great, young filmmakers their start, but those films weren't the most original of films. Someone like Scorsese gained invaluable experience, something he would use in Mean Streets, but other than that, Boxcar Bertha wasn't really a Scorsese picture, it was a Roger Corman movie.

Masque of the Red Death is one of my all time fave movies!

Also, as you suggest, making cheap genre movies enabled a lot of people to develop their craft.

So that seems like two huge points for Mr Corman right there!

• Premium Member

I don't even particularly want to make "money", by which many people mean achieving a higher-than-average income and standard of living. I'd like to be able to pay people enough that they can live indoors and eat food, though.

I don't even particularly want to make "money", by which many people mean achieving a higher-than-average income and standard of living. I'd like to be able to pay people enough that they can live indoors and eat food, though.

I know what you mean Phil. Something that is economically viable.

I think even people who have an outside job and are shooting passion projects, still need to be careful that they can afford to do so and can afford to shoot another project after, so it doesn't bankrupt them.

It's nice if you don't have to be concerned with economics but most of us do!

What is your point here Richard?

Trying to be nasty to me for no reason at all?

Freya

Eh? No, not at all. I am saying.....we have no women that comment here besides you, so maybe you can find a friend.

R,

By everyone, you mean his family who stumped up thousands and thousands of dollars so he could make his next movie?

To finish 'Killer's Kiss' he borrowed $40,000 from his uncle who got his money back when UA bought the $75,000 picture for $100,000 and put up the same amount for 'The Killing'. Not a bad deal.

• Premium Member

To finish 'Killer's Kiss' he borrowed $40,000 from his uncle who got his money back when UA bought the $75,000 picture for $100,000 and put up the same amount for 'The Killing'. Not a bad deal.

Well, yes, but again, that's famous because it's very, very, very unusual. Much more likely is the outcome where he borrowed $40,000, lost the lot, and it became a touchy subject at family meetings for the next two decades.

P

Well basically everyone who is famous now was obviously unknown at some stage .. even having your uncle as a studio exc is not going to get your film made.. its just a lottery .. easy rider.. mad max.. blair witch ..etc were winners.. of course 100,000 films that never made a dime or saw the light of day ..for those that do.. even the biggest grossing pic,s often when you read about them you learn they were turned down for years by all the studio,s.. it took Gone with the Wind a long time to get made.. I dont think studio,s have much idea either..

I guess you either lose your house and your marriage .. and go for it .. or not.. if its a super small budget totally independent film.. but no doubt the same chances of success..as being struck by lighting while being attacked by a shark.. on Santa Monica Blvd ..

Well, yes, but again, that's famous because it's very, very, very unusual. Much more likely is the outcome where he borrowed $40,000, lost the lot, and it became a touchy subject at family meetings for the next two decades.

P

Well it was a loan so maybe he would have had to repay it. Very slowly probably though.

$40,000 is an awful lot of chess games I imagine ...especially in 1955 dollars!

Freya

Masque of the Red Death is one of my all time fave movies!

Also, as you suggest, making cheap genre movies enabled a lot of people to develop their craft.

So that seems like two huge points for Mr Corman right there!

I have read that Corman 'never lost money, and mostly made money' on his films. His film played in drive-ins and 'seedy', 'other side of the tracks' theaters. I saw most of the Corman horror films staring Vincent Price in the era at 25/50 cent theaters(sometimes they would have 25 cent days... other times 50 cents...) in San Diego, surrounded by drunks, sailors eking out their last few minutes of liberty... probably mostly drunk... and certain 'men' who were looking for their lost roll of quarters... or something like that... I don't think the theater even let in unaccompanied women... but I digress...

These films did not play in the better theaters. Those were filled with the various big studio productions...

It is only in retrospect that Corman's opus has 'cleaned up' into classics... Likewise for Sergio Leone's 'spaghetti westerns', they were considered low rent, cheap hollywood western knockoffs, and also shown in the 25/50 cent venues.

Then there's Ed Wood...

Edited by John E Clark

Well it was a loan so maybe he would have had to repay it. Very slowly probably though.

Freya

Family loans that go unpaid become major 'family' issues for the entire life of those who didn't pay, or didn't get paid back... even after the death of the parties involved... since often the 'spendthrift' if there is any inheritance to speak of, gets their portion via a controlled trust, whereas the family 'financial' mavins get their portion 'free and clear'...

Fortunately for me, my parents died penniless...

Edited by John E Clark

Freya

Did you read the rest of the post?

his uncle who got his money back when UA bought the $75,000 picture for $100,000 and put up the same amount for 'The Killing'. Not a bad deal.

Anyway... Congrats to Phil T for finishing his feature. Please post the trailer when it's online Phil. Best of luck with the film!

At the end of the day...it's all anyone can say. Thumbs up Satsuki.

R,

Cheers mate,

Can't wait until the trailer is made. Poster art is getting done now. I'm so excited. We're going to hire the prince Charles cinema out for a private view for cast, family and crew.

I reckon I'll submit it to Sci-fi London, Cannes, Edinburgh film festival, raindance.

Exciting times ?

Anyway... Congrats to Phil T for finishing his feature. Please post the trailer when it's online Phil. Best of luck with the film!

Did you read the rest of the post?

his uncle who got his money back when UA bought the $75,000 picture for $100,000 and put up the same amount for 'The Killing'. Not a bad deal.

Mark, it is yourself that didn't read my post properly which was in reply to what Phil was saying about a hypothetical history where Kubrick didn't sell his film. If you read more of the thread you will see it was even myself that pointed out his families involvement in the first place. I was aware he made the sale before it was posted here. I was replying originally to the suggestion that the world recognised Kubricks genius in fear and desire. y.

Cheers mate,

Can't wait until the trailer is made. Poster art is getting done now. I'm so excited. We're going to hire the prince Charles cinema out for a private view for cast, family and crew.

I reckon I'll submit it to Sci-fi London, Cannes, Edinburgh film festival, raindance.

Exciting times ?

Looking forward to seeing the trailer and that sounds like a great plan of action!

Fingers crossed for you. :)

Freya

• 3 weeks later...