The Technique of the Motion Picture Camera

The Technique of the Motion Picture Camera

(Library of Communication Techniques)

Bit of a trip down memory lane, but this book by H. Mario Raimondo Souto, was the first technical cinema book I ever had (for my 18th birthday in hardback). It was very expensive I remember, for the time,but was full of the kind of techie info a camera geek like me wanted. Not so much a book about technique, as the title suggested but lots of stuff about cameras and lenses, I really treasured it and still have my pristine copy.

Would be interested to know what was your first 'proper' cinematography or film related book?

The forum update has thrown up this old post, so here goes.

"The work of the motion picture cameraman", Freddie Young and Paul Petzold, Focal Press, 1972.

A bit long in the tooth now, and it was a little dated even when I got it in about 1978, but a fascinating look into the world of one of the greatest lighting cameramen who ever lived. I took it to film school and it probably taught me the odd thing.

Bought at the same time, from the same series: "The work of the film director", A.J. Reynertson. A bit cerebral, probably responsible for my realising I didn't particularly want to direct.

"Filmmaking: A practical Guide", Carl Linder. More of an underground work. Still worth a read.